~WHAT YOU SEE IS WHAT SHE GETS...TO RIDE~ '49 Mercury crossover.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, got a mock-up started, I'm going the same route as my daily riders, just with knobby tires, speaking of which, if anyone out there knows of a knobby 1.75-1.90 in cream, I would appreciate you letting me know.
So here's my daily rides;
'59 Schwinn Jaguar.
20150522_193055.jpg

Sideways(thanks photobucket:() '36 Hawthorne

Here's the mock-up;

Also this little guy (3ft. across) greeted me this morning and tried to bite me, so
lost his head via shovel;

I was trying to pull him down to put in the fish tank we keep on the front porch for "temporary animal visitors" but this guy was way too aggressive, so sorry Mr. Bitey, next time don't lose your head.

Last edited:
I thought you were just showing us your new tires
thumb3_T2339.jpg

Also this little guy (3ft. across) greeted me this morning and tried to bite me, so
lost his head via shovel;

I was trying to pull him down to put in the fish tank we keep on the front porch for "temporary animal visitors" but this guy was way too aggressive, so sorry Mr. Bitey, next time don't lose your head.

:eek:... so glad we don't have snakes in New Zealand :angelic:

Glen.

Not much of an update, but an update all the same, if anyone hasn't noticed North Texas has gotten 5 weeks of straight rain, matter of fact this week is the first it hasn't, swap meet Saturday, it'll come. Anyways, the local greenbelt trail we ride is washed out, so, I'll be building this bike for road use, 'cause that's our only option. Good thing I snagged the slicks off the Mercury, which I'll be selling at Saturday's swap meet if it's not a wash...literally.
My wife recently had a tattoo surgically removed behind her ear, to meet USAF protocol, so she's not riding for 2 weeks under doctors orders, so I've still got plenty of time to build this bike. She really is awesome, let me take a moment to give a little shout out to Mrs. Missing Link; She rides home every day(4 miles) at 5:00, in Texas, on a '63 Schwinn Racer, converted to single speed. She had a silver dollar sized part of herself excised to give my son and I a better future, she is the love of my life, she's an awesome mom, a great wife, she's my valkyrie, my warrior woman, to quote Frank Miller. I love her, that's all, plain and simple.

Okay so, I'm changing bikes now, my wife wants something a bit heavier than the Racer she's been riding home every day and likes the Mercury I built for the last Winter Build Off, she's got a few stipulations on it so I'll be working within those confines; drop stem, straight bars, rigid fork, chainguard, rear fender(her clothes cost more than mine so I have no problem there), and brick red tires. This will be a fun build.
Here's the starting point for those of you that missed the Winter Build Off, or were just distracted by all the bikes that were cooler;

Tonight I'm pulling parts off donors, trying to get this right, tomorrow, with any luck I'll have a mock-up and a name.

And one more from me.

As far as the bike goes,have you thought about fender skirts? Functional and aesthetically pleasing.
Unfortunately the only pair of skirts I have don't fit well, otherwise, they'd have been on the Mercury the first time I built it. Kind of disappointing when you have the perfect piece and it just won't fit.

Unfortunately the only pair of skirts I have don't fit well, otherwise, they'd have been on the Mercury the first time I built it. Kind of disappointing when you have the perfect piece and it just won't fit.
I hear you there,thought I had the perfect forks for mine but it just didn't work.

So here's what I've got so far;

Still have the original wheels/tires on it, but as previously stated the tires will be red brick Duros, the saddle will also be changed out as well as the grips, most likely. I don't know if it shows in the pic or not bus I've got the fender's bob point marked, doing a simply there to prevent mud splatter super short fender on this one. So I've got a long way to go and a short time to get there...well as far as finishing the build off is concerned.

Latest posts

Back