when is too much for fixing a bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
well as the title states I have a 1968 huffy Camaro and it seems like every time I fix something something else breaks:headbang:
I have already put way more into the bike then I will ever get back if i was to sell it. and i do kind of like the bike it has a working tanklight which is not easy to come by and it is in relatively good shape and when it does work it rides ok.
I paid 65 for the bike itself
but the list of repairs is as follows;
new crankarms from a bent crank. off a Schwinn I parted out estimated about 10 bucks give or take
truing back wheel which still is not perfect.20 bucks
touched up the paint.3 bucks bout about 22 hours of labor which I charge anywhere between 7-15 dollars for per hour
cleaned all parts and chrome. again time consuming and about 6 bucks worth of steel wool and soap
repacked all bearings. again more labor and about 3 bucks worth of grease.
new light bulbs for the tank light which cost me 6 bucks
what it still needs is as follows;
pedals are loose and need to be replaced.
tires I have keep popping and now I have junk knobbies on it.
wheels still are not true.
and now today I noticed the rear crown is coming loose from what looks like a spannier ring even though it is a coaster brake.
and that is just what I currently know.
the bike still has dents and imperfections in the fenders.
so I have to ask when is too much too much I am considering parting it out but I am uncertain which way to go wit it.
if it was a Schwinn then the answer would be obvious, but because it is a huffy and only form the late 60's I am having second thoughts As to what to do.
anyone got any ideas.
Sean

Most of that is common to the hobby. I think that One possible approach from here is to look for a good quality low cost used donor bike that you could use the wheels from. I often see great deals on CL for Ladies bikes, that have good single speed or 3 speed wheel sets.

Since you already have more in it than it's worth, and you like the bike, keep going. Many of us here have more than one bike like that. I've had about a dozen with way more in them than they were worth, unless you consider the quality time working on them.
Truing the rims yourself may be a lot of work if you've never done it and a shop may charge 12-15 bucks per wheel. I agree with clamdigger, a replacement set of wheels with speeds, either 2 or 3 with coaster brake would be a big improvement. Then a good set of tires, (on my daughter's 71 Camaro, 26 x 2.125 tires only fit without fenders) 2.0 might be a good size, I think it came with 1.75 width tires. Then a laid back seat post and new seat will give a very good ride.

If you like the bike Just keep going. To least you have something not everyone else has. They are all money pits.

If it were about makin' $$$, most of us would be screwed. If ya like it, keep building' and enjoy
Gizmo

These shots of my Huffy only go back to 2009, but I've been doing that with this heap for 35 years.
GEDC0003.jpg

sideviewsm2.jpg

bike3044.jpg

GEDC0007.jpg

PTDC0006_zps82eae53e.jpg

I'd say the answer to "when is too much for fixing a bike" is when it's not worth it to you to have the thing all together the way you want it.

If you like the bike Just keep going. To least you have something not everyone else has. They are all money pits.

Shortly after I joined this forum I picked up a gently used 2008 Schwinn Jaguar on craigslist for $40. Since then I've slowly spent at least $200 or $300 on parts to customize it and probably more, and some of those parts didn't work out as planned so they went on other bikes or are just sitting in my garage. ("Yes, I'm talking about YOU, Mr. Twenty-five Inch Apehangers! Seemed like a good idea at the time, but....") Up until now, I've tried NOT to itemize my expenses, but it's been easier to justify a ton of "little" things like saddles, grips, paint, handlebars, more grips, other handlebars, a better derailleur, new kickstand and "why did I pick this color saddle when it's so hard to match" even more grips.

This week I discovered a really nice fake gas tank from a minibike, which I think would look awesome but "holy crap, with shipping that costs almost twice as much as I paid for the bike to start with!"

I'm reminded of the old saying "a boat is a hole in the water into which you throw money." :21:

(Now if I can just figure out where to relocate the suicide shifter, I'll probably end up buying that tank, too. Darn this forum -- you're all just a bunch of enablers! :p )

Latest posts

Back