Wide-large-fat-big momma tire

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working on a pretty cool design (ok, ok, you got me, it's a redesign/knock off of a board-track (motorized) I saw on the web).

How hard is it to use a motorcycle tire (rim) for a rear tire? Anyone ever do this?

Hub used????

Thanks.

If you use 20" bicycle rims you can install 16" moped tires. If you run them on a narrow rim it messes with the profile some, but it shouldn't be a big issue on a non motorized vehicle. They are readily available in 2.25-2.50-2.75-3.00, etc widths. If you had a heavy duty hub with big spoke holes you could lace a rim from a small motorcycle and run whatever tire would fit that rim. On a custom build I suppose you could use the whole motorcycle wheel. You could use a jack-shaft with a freewheel on it.

Well if were talking motorcycle tires on bicycles theres only one name that come to mind

hannan customs
svtovn.jpg

http://hannanschoppers.blogspot.com/

I use drag slicks because they are very light and Free.
weld2.jpg

total weight of complete rear wheel is 35 pounds.
blackbycyle.jpg

my old big tire bike was built in 1995 with the steel rim and weighs about 75 pounds, the most expensive part was the inner tube cost $20.00 the rest was out of my junk pile.

Probably try to lace a hub with a similar number of spokes to the motorcycle rim that you're using...some old (tandem?) hub that will accommodate 10 or 11 gauge spokes (0.125"-0.120"). Lighter wheels will be the ticket. Wheels from bigger cycles with heavy gauge spokes are going to be more trouble.

Now how wide were you thinking? If you're going for an old school style boardtrack racer design you obviously don't to go too wide.
What wheel diameter are you going to use?

If you want legit-looking boardtracker tires, Coker still sells them. $$$ The sizes were 24", 26" and 28" tall, and 2-1/4, 2-1/2 and 3" wide.
The "tall" dimension is the overall height of the tire; note that this is a vintage sizing system that is not the same as modern bicycle rim/tire sizes of the same #.
Coker still sells the rims too, but there's a couple other board-track replica places out there that sold the rims for less in the past,,,so it could pay to shop around.

The rims come drilled for 36 holes or 40 holes (standard hubs at the time) but you can get them un-drilled or custom-drilled too.

For the rear hub, I would guess it would be easiest to use a solid-drive hub (sprocket bolted to the axle) and use a regular rear bicycle hub as a jackshaft somehow.

well if youre going to go accurate....universal has the rims that wouldve been used back then(although theyre repops now) as well as the tires.
CORRECT RIM
CORRECT TIRES
if you want to use something thats not as close to correct check out choppers u.s. for the 26 x 2.5 rims and just run some of the all black,white,or,brick red 26" balloon tires with the brick tread or some quick bricks. not as correct but alot cheaper.
good luck!

Latest posts

Back