xXx"In Cash We Rust"xXx *Paint 6/29*

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I looked around and saw a couple of really cool ticycles on here and have a girlfriend with a 2 year old so ive been wanting to try my hand at one myself so she doesn't have to ride one of those cheesey plastic ones. Finding this tricycle was a blast...I went on a road trip from texas to st louis this last week and stoped at a bunch of ratty looking flea markets along the way. So I saw this ammmmmmazing tricycle with some really fancy skirtguards at this one shop but he was asking $55 for it and there was no way I was going to spend that much on and old rusty trike with no pedals and wheels.....but after talking to him for awhile about the johnny cash album I was settling for I mentioned that I liked his trike and wish I could afford it. Unfortunately he had spent a bunch of money on it himself and wouldn't part with it for any less but he asked me if I saw the other one he had in the back...he walked to the back with me and pointed at this rusty heap underneath a ton of other junk. he told me if I dug it out I could have it for cheap so after a little work I hauled it up to the counter. In all of the excitement I completely forgot that I had absolutely no cash....but....I wasn't about to give up on this so I asked him wo hold it for me and I drove into town to get some cash. I was so happy when I finally had this thing loaded into my car. On the rest of the drive up I was thinking about all of the directions I could go with this and have some pretty fun ideas in my head but will wait to reveal those later but the story ends with once I made it into st louis my friend calls me and needs me to give her and her three friends a ride from the cardinals game....so everyone got to enjoy the rusty tricycle in there lap as I drove them all home :D . I have absolutely no idea of the year or make of this thing and there are no marks or indicators anywhere so if anyone has an idea that would be neat to know but I think the seat is pretty awesome for a trike and the wheels and frame look different from most that ive seen. Might be one of the smallest projects on here size wise but its looking like its going to take plenty of time and sweat ;-)

4163_103129646954_714576954_3013872_7405128_n.jpg

4163_103129651954_714576954_3013873_1770727_n.jpg

4163_103129656954_714576954_3013874_895245_n.jpg

4163_103129666954_714576954_3013875_374324_n.jpg

4163_103129676954_714576954_3013877_6030135_n.jpg

----------------------------------
so after bit of research online and looking through a bunch of old photos on tricyclefetish.com I found this.....
4163_103178821954_714576954_3014904_3833703_n.jpg

it was labled as a late 30's model made by Taylor...so went looking under Taylor and found something that other than condition looks exactly like my tricycle...
4163_103178826954_714576954_3014905_431304_n.jpg

So that solves the what the heck is it and how old is it question :)
-been looking everywhere I know and have no ideas what im going to do about tires....back to searching.

Re: Tricycle....(of Doom?)

wow. i cant wait to see this!!! i believe that it might be prewar. the seat looks like some of the prewar seats ive seen. just my 2cents!

Easy E

Re: Tricycle....(of Doom?)

You can't think of a name? With such a great story??? You mentioning the word 'cash', as in 'getting a johnny cash album' and 'went to town to get me some cash' made me think. I'm not that familliar with dollars, but I remember it saying 'IN GOD WE TRUST'. Maybe it's cool to name it:
'IN CASH WE RUST' ;-)

Nice little threeweeler by the way. I hope you'll find the right parts to make an awesome build.
Good luck.

xXx"In Cash We Rust"xXx

-Thanks for the name herr_rudolf :)
-I was thinking it was really old with the style of the seat...and underneath the seat the leather is still there.... anyone know when they stopped using leather on most tricycle seats? ...the hubs on the rear wheels are much larger than most of the tricycles ive seen also.
-I started dismantling everything before I had to run to work and its been a pain...everrrrrything is rusted like crazy...the bolts holding on the front wheel didnt match so after 45mins of wrestling with trying to get one of the bolts off I didn't mind cutting it off with a dremel so much. I have absolutely no idea how to take apart the front hub/cranks but it looks like it had either spacers or springs to help center the wheel that are no longer there because tehre is a ton of freeplay so I need to figure something out.
-Now to try and hunt down a front fender and some tires :)
-Thanks for the comments :)

Re: xXx"In Cash We Rust"xXx

That's awesome.I hope you find tires too.I was showing my wife the full fender ones the other night and she couldn't belive the leather seat,fenders,ect. all went into trikes.I wonder want they originally went for.Can't go wrong making something special for your kid.Can't wait to see it. :mrgreen:

now that is a great project. great find. be watching this for sure.

Outlaw

That trike rocks! If you don't find a fender, how about cutting up a 1 1/2 90* exhaust pipe from the auto parts store? Might work and it'll be cheap.

hey bud, just throwin' out a suggestion on the tires......
hhmmmmmm .......... solid tires like that come on hand trucks & wagons & little "flea-market" (swap-meet) throw away trikes and pedal cars.
i have one of those mountain boards :? and the pnewmatic wheels on little mini tuff wheels look like a size match for the rears.
anyways, best of luck!!
can't wait to see it finished. i love trikes :mrgreen:

Going to try and finish dissasembly when I get off of work at midnight and get some better measurements so I can try to find some tires and maybe a front fender but I need to start working on the garden before work tomorrow so not sure how much progress will be made.

It would be cool to find good original tires for this thing, however, you don't have to be limited and by using these wheels... Check ordinairy hardwarestores for small wheels. It very well could be they are fitted with the same size tires. If not, maybe you can somehow fit the complete wheels.

good luck.

So after 2 and a half hours with a dremel, sandpaper, wirebrush, and can of good ol rust-reformer primer... 2 wheels are prepped and im exhausted and excited :)

4163_103252736954_714576954_3016171_4727180_n.jpg

4163_103252741954_714576954_3016172_4938321_n.jpg

-oh...and the front wheel is 10"x1" and the rears are 6"x1" from edge to edge of the rims.

there was a place that had tons of trike parts but when aol killed of the myhomepage thing the site was gone and hasnt popped back up.......
try searching trike or tricycle here......i know markm posted a link at some point and they had a ton of stuff

yeah I searched and found markm's post...was a link to tricyclefetish.com that does indeed have alot of parts but unfortunately not what I need so the hunt continues. I also am driving myself crazy trying to figure out how to take apart the front wheel...when its mounted to the fork the front wheel has a ton of play so im trying to get the pedal arms off so I can put some kind of spacers or bearings behind the fork mounts but I cant figure out how to take them off :-/.

I found a radio flyer tricycle on craigslist with a broken wheel on craigslist for $10 so going to try and pick it up and use it for the fender and the tires...the radio flyer has a 12" front and 7" rear but maybe I can cut it down and make it work?

Latest posts

Back