Yard Ornament -7/31 AS GOOD AS IT'S GONNA GET!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yard Ornament -7/23 New Parts & Ready for Assembly

I let out an audible "sweet" when I saw this! Looking good. This one has came a looong way! Are you gonna take back and let the old owner see it?
z-bikes said:
DSCF1350.jpg

Re: Yard Ornament -7/23 New Parts & Ready for Assembly

Critter1 said:
I let out an audible "sweet" when I saw this! Looking good. This one has came a looong way! Are you gonna take back and let the old owner see it?
z-bikes said:

I probably will when it's finished.

Re: Yard Ornament -7/24 New Headbadge & Chain Tensioners

Made some new chain tensioners this morning. I had a piece of 1/4" aluminum round stock laying around so I used that. Cut a couple of pieces then clamped them in the drill press and held a file to them until they were the right diameter to thread to 12-32 which is a pretty hard to find thread. Then I put some 10-24 threads on one end and turned down the other.

DSCF1361.jpg

Added a chrome acorn nut and threaded them in.

DSCF1358.jpg

DSCF1359.jpg

Also added my version of headbadge.

DSCF1360.jpg

What did you do to lock on the acorn nut so that when you go to loosen them they actually loosen and the nut doesn't just come off?

i think he notched the treaded rod then screwed the nut over the top. the nit will have to come off to adjust it. am i right?

yoothgeye said:
What did you do to lock on the acorn nut so that when you go to loosen them they actually loosen and the nut doesn't just come off?
Haven't done anything yet because they' turn so easy but locktite will be applied.

imagearchy said:
i think he notched the treaded rod then screwed the nut over the top. the nit will have to come off to adjust it. am i right?
That's what I did for the studs that go into the top of the strut rods so I could adjust wheel centering but these nuts will just be locktited.

Re: Yard Ornament -7/25 Gooseneck Repaired

Had a heavily pitted prewar gooseneck I really wanted to use but it was broken off and bent from trying to remove it from a badly rusted fork.

DSCF1210.jpg

You can see the bend in this shot. It's also about 3/4" shorter than it should be.

DSCF1363.jpg

Clamped it in the vise, took a piece of 3/8" pipe that I ground down one end to fit inside, put the torch to it and straightened it out. Came out reasonably well for being cast.

DSCF1365.jpg

DSCF1367.jpg

Spent some time with a 1" belt sander and a buffer, added a SS bolt and it's ready to install. Actually looks much better in person than in the photo.

DSCF1366.jpg

Great work on this stem, I would've just thrown it in the scrap pile.

Once you are done with this bike you should display it... in the yard... for 60 years. :lol:

scott brownsey said:
that stem is so COOL what is it from ? :D :D :D :D :D :D
I removed it from a prewar mens Schwinn. It's somewhat rare so I really wanted to preserve it. When I have more time I'll cut off the damaged part and braze on a new extension then have it plated.
I believe it's a Wald #4.

Re: Yard Ornament -7/30 Sprocket Fiasco!

I have this really cool sprocket that I was planning on using. I haven't been able to find out who made it or what bike it was originally from.

DSCF1198.jpg

I sent it out in June to be replated knowing it was going to be close on whether or not I got it back in time. Been talking to the chrome shop letting them know I needed it before this weekend. The plater is in Milwaukee about 250 miles away. It looked like it was going to be done by last Thursday but I still wouldn't have it before the weekend so I made arrangements to have someone pick it up and then someone else transport it back on Sunday. Still cutting it close but doable. When I talked to the shop on Friday to make the pickup arrangements they informed me that inspection kicked it out and they were redoing it. BUMMER! I had to go through my junk just to find something else to use.

Made a custom brake arm stop and worked on a kickstand to use. Started out with some 1/8" aluminum pieces, then bent them into 90's.

DSCF1369.jpg

DSCF1370.jpg

Used some aluminum rod and gas welded them together. Crappy picture.

DSCF1371.jpg

Smoothed them out with a 1" belt sander and a buffer.

DSCF1373.jpg

Cut it off, drilled and tapped a hole, then added a couple of rubber pads.

DSCF1374.jpg

Installed on the bike with a stainless button head bolt.

DSCF1377.jpg

I wanted to use a rear dropout mounted kickstand but just could ran out of time to work one up so I went with a standard aluminum kickstand that I found in the garage. Took the belt sander to it to remove any manufacturers markings and change it from a semi-hexagon cross section to a tapered round one. Ran it through the buffer to remove the sanding marks.

DSCF1372.jpg

Haven't mounted it yet, just hoping it's long enough.

z-bikes said:
scott brownsey said:
that stem is so COOL what is it from ? :D :D :D :D :D :D
I removed it from a prewar mens Schwinn. It's somewhat rare so I really wanted to preserve it. When I have more time I'll cut off the damaged part and braze on a new extension then have it plated.
I believe it's a Wald #4.
its very cool i have never seen 1 b4

Got my seat last week. I was going to trade parts for it but shipping costs reared it's ugly head so I just sold some stuff to pay for it. It's one of the only parts that I bought for the build with the exception of tires and grips. I'm not including the nuts, bolts & paint. Put the torch to the seatpost to bend it, ran it through the buffer, then put them on. I like how the red leather matches the red wheels.

DSCF1375.jpg

DSCF1376.jpg

That's it! Enough is enough. Good enough for who it's for. Will post in the finished bikes tomorrow.

Started with this:

DSCF1166.jpg

Finished with this:

DSCF1378.jpg

Latest posts

Back