yet another camelback

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've done about 40 or 50 single speed conversions. At least 15 using old Schwinns. Widths printed/molded on tires are merely suggestions, not literal measurements. I've seen 1.95s that are the same was 1.5s. It's all over the place. Best bet is just trial and error. Also if you use a wider rim, the same tire will be wider on it vs a narrower rim. And yeah, those knobs on the side always get in the way. Like that yellow single speed above.

The only Camelback frames I've ever seen are made for smaller riders. Do you happen to know offhand what size frames they were made in? I'd like to 26" BMX one out eventually.
Hey sorry, I only just now saw that there was activity on this thread. Looks like @RustyGold has you covered, though. I would have said the same... the Camelbacks are all 17" frames as far as I know. The four that I have are all 17" anyway, and that's a coaster, a three-speed, and two 5-speeds. I have heard of a mythical 27" wheel camelback Varsity, but I've never seen one in the flesh. I can say that there's many pics of these online done as big BMX cruisers, and they seem to make for a nice, fairly light middle ground between a full cantilever frame strandie and a modern big-dollar 26" BMX cruiser. I am really digging my current RRBBO build on one of them.

Do you think a set of Thick Slicks at 26x2.0 could work on this frame? Just asking cause my next search will be a Camelback frame.
I did a little research and asked a guy on Instagram who has done a number of these what he uses, and he said 1.5s and 1.75s are wide enough to have a little meat but still nice and light. He said 1.9s and even some 2.0s will juuuuuust fit, but your wheels have to be REALLY straight. If you're on Instagram, he's klunkers26. On his advice, and on seeing the tires DizzleProblems posted above, I went with 1.75s for my current build (Michelin Country Rock).

Latest posts

Back