Zep-per

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Guys!!! kingplinker, if you wanted to do a shot at the track, by all means go and do one!!! I won't be offended. You guys are all welcome to use or better any idea that I've got. We're all cool here!!!
Ape Hangers Huh????... Thanks!!!

Lurk/Jerk Mode
interm.jpg

The intermediate Zep-per. I had these old fenders on a bike that I re-did a long time ago. They still looked pretty good so I added some red trim on the ends and set them low in the frame. I made some fender braces out of 1/8" piano wire that I heated and bent using a propane torch. I then sprayed them with aluminum paint. You might think that the headlight has a shade of spandex around it, but lets just say that I Saw The Light. It works!!! I think that the lighting available now days is just begging for a styling exercise. Fenders are great for the occasional downpour or drizzel, not to mention the sewer overflows. Racing stripes are cool everywhere except on your clothing!!!
faxel.jpg

I've seen this method to mount fender braces on the front axel somewhere way back.I made these brackets out of 1/8" mild steel and painted them aluminum also. They would be cool if they were chrome plated.
frontshop.jpg

I got a chance to do some some more outside shots. This is in front of the old shop. The building still stands. The old headlight was stuck in place and was made for use on Whizzers. I had painted the housing to match the fenders.
frontplane.jpg

A Rat Rod with wings. Here the Zep-per is sitting in front of an Aero Vodochody L-39C jet. It is a great looking aircraft done up in US Navy colors. The L-39 is used by many air forces of the world as a trainer and some varients are equipped for light attack roles. They are finding their way into private ownership as well. This aircraft is maintained by Company called International Jets and they specialize in the L-39. Check out their website!!! Many thanks to Mr. Hess and all the fine folks at International Jets for their assistance!!!

I have a few more things to do to the Zep-per. Time is drawing near,but I think you are going to like what's in store next. Thanks!!!

Awesome photo. Color match is good too. Bike is fantastic. I'll never be able to decide who to vote for.

Great idea on the fender bracket. Nice job on the completion and the jet is a great background

Thanks Guys!!! The Zep-per is going to be done in a standard balloon version for a reason that hopefully you guys will get to see. I'm just about finished with it. I certainly feel that there are other bikes in the buildoff worthy of your votes!!! My intention was to just have some fun. Happy Thanksgiving and don't eat too much!!! Thanks!!!

Standard Balloon Zep-per
white.jpg

The maximum Zep-per. I did the Zep-per up in a standard balloon version just to see what it would look like. I have no idea what brand of bike this luggage rack came off of. It's one that I used on an old Schwinn cantilver years ago. I had to readjust the supports to level it out after I saw these pics.
rearwhite.jpg

Rear view.
guard.jpg

I believe this guard was a Wald deluxe made years ago. They should bring it back out!!! I bet someone still has the tooling to make them?
seatcover.jpg

This was a NOS Bourneman replacement seat cover for bikes made back in the 1960's. They would be pretty simple to make.
black.jpg

The final Zep-per. I put on the blackwalls to make a riding pic. It was all lined up to take, but it was not to be. The rider was all bummed up from being thrown from a horse. Plus the weather was lousy. Maybe later!!! I am thankful that we at least got a little rain. This concludes my rendition of the RRBBO 2. Many thanks to Ratrod and all the others that have made this site possible. Also thanks to all the members of the forum whose tallents and creativity have contributed so much to the success of Rat Rod Bikes. I will be posting some pics in the finished bike section. Thanks!!!!

Shazaaaaam! Looks great! Especially with the balloon tires. I personally am enamored with white walls, but it looks ready to rumble with the black walls. When you get the chance, get some non-"beauty" side photo's (opposite side) You never know when someone might want to start a magazine and put some photo's of the Zep-per in it.

jeff

I'm late by a few weeks, but I finally got some riding pics.

unc1.jpg

The rider is my uncle. He was the 15 year old working in the old shop pic. Just celebrated his 75th birthday. I had to let him get healed up from a horse and wagon accident before we could make some pics. His hobby is horses and goes on wagon trains and cattle drives.

unc2.jpg

We rode around on his farm. He was on the Zep-per. I rode an old tired Schwinn. It was a great ride. He really enjoyed riding a bike and we spent time talking about old bikes. Thanks!!!

Nice bike and looks like a nice time riding!

That bike really looks great with the fat tires. Your uncle looks to be right at home on it.

It really has nice colors and I love the full-fendered look. Very classic and a sweet job whether you consider it a rat rod or not. They come in all shapes and sizes- not every hot rod is a flat-black beast. Some of the best are "lead sleds" with fat fenders and classic chrome.

Nice work Cashman and happy holidays!

--Rob

Thanks Guys!!! You know, growing up, I was sometimes too busy to visit all the relatives in the family. I didn't spend as much time with them as I should. The day we made the riding pics at my uncles house was a very enjoyable time. He showed me pics of the Whizzers and the Famous James motorbikes he rode going to high school. We spent some real quality time together riding and talking about old bikes. I think he had a lot of fun. He can still get a scratch or two on a bike. I even netted some more old bicycle pics. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all. Thanks !!!

Latest posts

Back