Zundapp

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can undestand your comment. Too many miles of ocean between you and any donor parts or hardware.
Will be good to see what you can acheive with what you can find.

Welded this thing up a couple of days ago, only got some pic's this afternoon. Feel like I have done a lot but not got far,
at least I have a rolling frame! So here is a bit of a mock up of the beginnings of this bike. Yep she will be chunky, yep
she will be a little heavy but hey weight will mean momentum right! Took a bit to hold all this together and get her welded.
p5079881.jpg
p5079888.jpg

Here is how I got around those fine pie cuts front lower frame, covered them with a plate and welded the edge of the plate.
p5079883.jpg
p5079869.jpg

Here is the front end, that little stork will be for the gear lever. Will run the gear and brake cables down the centre of the upper lengths.
p5079882.jpg
p5079891.jpg

The rear of the frame just behind the seat post to the start of the donor frame section that I used. Had a few headaches getting this section
right, you can see my finger pointing to the rear of the frame where I put a cut to bend the section down.
p5079884.jpg
p5079885.jpg

The bars are some stock cruiser bars with a short length extending them slightly.
p5079886.jpg
p5079887.jpg

No fancy mig or tig welder for me, old school arch welder low amps and 2mm rods and blast a few holes then fill them!
Most people who have mig or tig welders here have real problems with feed as the salt air creates corrosion on the coil
of wire and it doesn't feed well, none of these problems with arch. Now take it easy on my welds folks, far from a master
like some of you. Also notice the rust, only welded up a couple of days ago photographed this afternoon, the salt air that
surrounds me doing its stuff!

Here she is alongside a picture of the real machine along way to go but getting there.
p5079890.jpg
p4259414.jpg

Wow,she is coming along fine. :D ..Well done with the welding,making holes gives you more practice.... I'm using the same tools...Although I also have a gas/no gas arc welder aswell...But I prefer the ole girl n rods....

Twin top tubes are cool, but that is over the top!
Love the way this one is going!

Any updates Pushie Pirate?
I hope it has not been sitting outside for a month with no work on it, probably would have rusted away where you live in the middle of the ocean, have to start all over again! :shock:

Luke.

Pretty close mate, sitting outside under a tarp, have been doing a bit but work
on her, other projects and work getting in the way, also a visit to the big smoke,
(Sydney, to see daughter at boarding school) Managed to get some parts which
is good, will get a bit done this week I hope.

A few years ago we built a bike with this kind of inspiration. I wanted something that looked like these BMW motorcycles:

Started with this sweet little 20" Ross:

Of course, BMW (and your Zundapp) used flat-twin aircooled engines with the big cylinders sticking out the sides... so we made pedals to look like the cylinders. These are VW cylinders sliced into sections and welded to stripped apart pedal spindles. I will say they are sharp and somewhat hazardous. Also the fins are more fragile than you think, so cutting them can be tricky. The look was cool though.

The finished product. Frame was stretched, tank came from a Columbia "convertible". Wheels were red-anodized 90's BMX stuff. Tires are vintage Trelleborg WW's. Big Schwinn "mattress" saddle from a Suburban. Reverse brake levers (just for looks). I like the look of the fender stays on the outside. It's a very low bike, too small for me to ride, but my wife can.

Good luck with your project, it's fun to watch it come together!

--Rob

So had a big session on the Zundapp, as I said at the beginning attempting to make a pushie version of the
real wartime motorbike. So using plywood to help make up motorbike bits, got a bit of sanding ahead of me!

140f3d.jpg
v6ugkz.jpg

Yep will have two seats as per the real machine, plan to have the rear one swap-able with a carrier.
v2xwzn.jpg
30b340m.jpg

Using an old motor bike headlight surround and that's a VW oil filler cap as a the tank cap.
15mobb9.jpg
mujqzk.jpg

Last edited:
That's pretty wild!!

Latest posts

Back