1940 Columbia Rockin' Roller

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Serial #: E186157. Started June 14, 2010. Finished August 2, 2010. Before During & After, not neccessarily in the right order, scrambling to upload pics at 11:42 EST...

Hey my name is Jeff aka Rudy & this is my first RRB build off. Lots of great stuff here!! I shelved my original project, a 1930's Columbia suicide shift custom project in favor of this build, primarily due to the time constraint & due to not wanting to be rushed on the custom project, which will surface here before winter.

The overarching idea with this ride was to respect the original mechanics, design, and to some degree the original paint scheme w/a subtle rat treatment - to give this old girl back her glory without stripping away 70 years of character. I didn't try to hammer out every scar and I attempted to detail respectfully.

I was able to save every original part on this bike, other than the rear intertube & the front axel. On this type of build, I feel that this concept from a spiritual perspective - yeilds good karma. Afterall at age 70, who wouldn't want to keep as many of their original parts as possible? Design contributions include the satin black / gloss sunshine red scallop /gloss cleared paint scheme - courtesy of a dozen or so Rustoleum rattlebombs, silver pin striping, PBR bottle caps in place of the missing grip reflectors, the addition of a period correct rearview mirror, spikes from my american bulldogs collar in the fender, bookrack & seat, studded seat, axle mounted reflector, red dice valve caps...

The bike was started on 6/14/10, stripped to the bone, every screw, bolt, nut was cleaned, regreased, repainted, detailed and finished on 8/2/10 @ 9:00PM EST. Pics were taken between 9:30 - 10:00, uploaded to imageshack at 10:30, uploaded to RRB.com at 11:30 EST.

It was fun & I'm glad I beat the buzzer for consideration! All the best, RR. PS, apparently, I need some assistance with understanding how to upload photos...thanks in advance for the clue. Something to do with the Img button...oh well...

End result: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=29566

Back