1963 24'' STING RAT RAY

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my latest creation, a '63 Schwinn frame + fork, I got off of fleabay. Handlebars, stem, seat pan, seat post + seat bar off my '68 Schwinn Sting Ray. The wheels are off a free 24'' girls mountain bike I found on garbage day. The knobbies will go bye-bye, and a pair of 2.125 whitewalls will take their place. The rear wheel had been painted semi gloss black, but is chrome underneath, so I will strip it soon. The front sprocket is from my '71 Schwinn Varsity, but I'm putting on a original Lemon Peeler Mag sprocket later today, and new chain, just put on the chain guard, have the Lemon Peeler spoke protector too, a little more chrome. The shifter is just a ten-speed I had, w/ left lever removed, its a 6-speed, am going to make another one from scratch, I guess, because I can't find my Lemon Peeler shifter guts... only the lever itself, why did I take it apart so many years ago? Can't figure out how the derailleur cable got shorter after I rode it! :mrgreen: That's okay, I would like to have (THIS) shifter farther back anyway. Need to cover seat pan and make some brown leather grips (+ leather streamers?) Haven't been able to locate my Lemon Peeler front wheel, I wanted to lace the drum brake up to a 20'' rim, and run a 26'' springer. Who knows? Pretty far from done.................................maybe!
001-1.jpg

StingGood.jpg

StingDer.jpg

Very good observation pertaining to my welfare... I appreciate that. No brakes yet, I only rode it around my neighborhood, light traffic and totally flat... okay, I jumped the gun, I wanted to ride it, late at night, nothing ever happens to the foolhardy right? I'm working on a rear brake mount, for my old Lemon Peeler rear caliper, need to come up with a bracket, this frame, a '63, has a hole for the fender, angling towards the rear axle, unlike a slightly newer frame, which is hand brake compatible, and the fender has a angle mounting bracket attached, with the hole angling towards the bottom bracket, wow, some things are hard to put into writing! I hope maybe I enlightened someone.

I am thinking you mean like the short-lived u-brake set-up, used on what..., early 80's mnt. bikes?

There is a right angle brake adapter available for the fender brace. You can look on that auction site for one. I just purchased one for my Typhoon about a month ago for around $10.

Re: 1963 24'' STING RAT RAY (UPDATE 4-18-09)

Well I made a pair of brackets to move the seat back about 1 and 1/2'', about 5 days ago, and didn't like them too much, they were too visible, so I made a new pair yesterday.

Both brackets taped together drilling holes.

Newseatbrackets1.jpg

Grinding bracket(s) corners.

Newseatbrackets2.jpg

New brackets, left and old brackets, right. Square hole for seat bolt on each on left.

Newseatbrackets3.jpg

Another pic of new brackets.

Newseatbrackets4.jpg

Old brackets installed.

Newseatbrackets5.jpg

New brackets installed, I like these much better, they tuck up under seat, for a not so "add on" look.

Newseatbrackets6.jpg

Old brackets, 1 and 1/2'' setback.
4-16-09.jpg

004-3.jpg

New brackets, about 1 and 3/4'' set back.

Newbrackets4-18-09R.jpg

Newbrackets4-18-09L.jpg

Back