20" Rat

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I build this yesterday from a great frame and forks I bought at a swap meet for $22. This is for my kid, so I can't go nuts as its a rider. First is the frame pic. Dunno what it is. Sixties bike. But the cruddy repaint makes it look older.

bikeframe20inch.jpg

So yesterday I took some rusty Huffy wheels and cleaned them a bit and threw on some wides. A mock up revealed it was to high. Might be this was set up for a small front wheel?? So.....I just had to rake it! I cut the bottom tube and heated the top and curved it up. I like the look of the upswept top tube meet the head tube. I added to the bottom tube and had the right height. I found a great full length rear fender, and added a springer seat and handgrips from a vintage Columbia. The handlebars aren't quite the apehangers needed for this look, but its needed to be functional. Lastly, I shortened a tandem chainguard and fitted a the front in anticipation of adding the rest. But...it looked cool like that. So thats my quick build. Hope youns like it!

ratbikesmaller.jpg

Funny you mention that. I looked at your bike earlier and saw what appears to be the same forks with reversed dropouts. I tested them reversed and found the spring rate too hard. Plus, my kid needs to learn about the geometry difference as it is. But.....yours look cool as heck like that!!

So maybe a Murray frame?? The guy I bought it from guessed that too, but couldn't say for sure. I still have alot to learn since I'm new to the hobby. I've been looking at Spaceliner pictures and I really think thats what these forks are. Or are they just similar?

Thought youns might like an update. I added the cool old headlight that was on my trike. Its an old generator one. I want to adapt battery's someday. The Messenger seat was a wrong color one on my newly bought Fleet. I added some metal to the half chainguard, and added a rear handbrake for added safety for my kid on the hills.

Ratbikewithlight.jpg

That... I'd say that right there is Somethin'!

The light did it. Don't change a thing. It has reached maturity with the light. It's cool.

Floyd said:
.....I just had to rake it!....

ratbikesmaller.jpg

I admit -- I'm a skimmer and a photo-junkie. I had previously checked out this build and completely missed that KOOL rake. That's quite innovative!

I'd love to see that with some Ed Roth-style paint and 36" ape-hangers!

Back