2011 Human Powered Vehicle Festival (Ayer, MA)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KZ....the part that you missed is when that guy had asked very bravely to try KOTA's bike and I heard the speech about the learning curve before so I butted in the best way that I could and asked the guy to try my bike instead. KOTA had plenty of time to run off ...... could have, would have, should have. Those remote chain steering are a little sensitive to bashing about.

KOTA...."What Graylock did to his bike, making TWO pieces out of it is absolute "genius"! The fit and workmanship is PERFECT!" Nice thanks for remark. All the times I gave you a hard time.....take one back :wink:

Stevil.......What a sport on the 19 mile bike ride and no stops for beer . Man that was a tough one for me too. I have a video I'll put on youtube soon that has a picture of you screaming down that big hill....... and let's not forget those uphills :roll: Pokey mon
HPVF2011-02.jpg

We all had a great time because we're just a great bunch of guys from New England. Well represented from MA CT NH and Cape Cod (the other New England state)

Graylock

First of all, Thanks to Ryan and his Dad, Tim for putting this HPVfest together. It can become a big deal.
Yea we had a great time messin around. Nice of you guys to loan out your bikes for ride, my tall bike is
just tooo shakey,huh ,Greylock? :wink: Yes Larry you were a perfect gentleman when that guy wrecked
your bike.Really ,there was that much damage? I couldn't figure how that chain was now loose on the sprockets.
But Greylock ,thanks for waiting up for me on that ride, wrong bike or wrong trail ?
Rick, great shots of the fun and first on to the site here,same day.
I did get with my buds down here and rode til 10:00 but I was beat :mrgreen: Yea green like this....Stevil

I rode my customized a Giant Stiletto to the event. Chopped and shortened the frame; NOS 1970’s Pugh front wheel drum brake laced onto a Worksman hoop; rear fender and gas tank heated and remolded to fit (got a nasty burn from the molten plastic); custom horse leather seat; handle bars; 1980’s(?) Ross mountain bike brake handles (all metal – no plastic!); Shimano Rapid Fire shifters off of a mountain bike; the pedals are off of a Schwinn OCC Stingray that had been left out in the rain and rusted and was bought at a yard sale, I bought the bike for the pedals!

She is a comfortable ride!

Yours truly!
S5001504.jpg

Stopping in Shirley Center, MA for a brief history lesson:
S5001506.jpg

Stevil on his tall bike!
S5001501.jpg

Help! I'm falling!!! :shock:
S5001511.jpg

It was a great day; made even better by having meet some awesome fellow Rat Rodders!

I've posted some more pictures on the festival website. Check them out at http://humanpoweredvehiclefestival.friendsofthenashuariverrailtrail.com/archive/home/photos

Thanks for the appreciation, Stevil. The way it got read to me last night was, "Thanks to Ryan and his Dad, Tim for putting this HPVfest together."

Sorry to hear about the Chain of Fools crash, KOTA. I'm glad I got a chance to try it before that last rider put new hinges in it.

ZygoteLarger, I didn't really appreciate the workmanship on your machine because it looked so perfect I assumed you'd just bought commercial parts for most of it. (I also just didn't have enough time to see everything and talk to everyone I would have liked.) The plastic work was amazing. Did you make the saddle, too?

I want to make the festival even better next year. What do you think worked well? What could be improved? What should we NOT do?

Yes, I did stress part of the message more, just to show how little work you put into the festival. :wink:
Love all the photos, great to see other angles than the ones we took. We improved the festival thanks to all the feedback last year, and we would love to have other ideas as we go into planning next year. Please, send in your thoughts!

Very enjoyable day overall, and great to see everyone there.

eccentric said:
ZygoteLarger, I didn't really appreciate the workmanship on your machine because it looked so perfect I assumed you'd just bought commercial parts for most of it. (I also just didn't have enough time to see everything and talk to everyone I would have liked.) The plastic work was amazing. Did you make the saddle, too?
No, the saddle was made by a friend of mine that makes custom saddles for motorcycles, mostly H-D’s. He made it using horse leather from the seat pan I sent him.

Thanks for the complements, they’re appreciated.

Thank you for putting on such a great event!

BTW – thanks for the perfect weather too! :wink:

It was a cool festival, and I'd like to see it grow. The rail trail is so nice. I didn't have enough time to ride the whole thing, but what I saw was great.

I hope the festival is bigger and better next year. Best of luck.

great seeing you guys.

Jose, I forgot to say, nice shot of the ol' gal falling off her unicycle..right place ,right time.
What was she saying when she dropped,"Goodbye All,Bye!!!" ? She must have bounced cause
I saw her later looking well :lol: Good for her....Stevil

some of my pictures (lots of cool trikes and recumbents):

6166514232_7ed3b9776e_b.jpg

6165980779_6d459d7882_b.jpg

6165982647_eda2917ab2_b.jpg

6166519928_583560a141_b.jpg

6165987203_df1f22a887_b.jpg

6165990291_17f5f9b900_b.jpg

6165993957_990ec7acbe_b.jpg

6166530540_3e2ab360f9_b.jpg

New England RRB-ers representin':

6165997073_617e01db6b_b.jpg

6166535566_1d2e54809e_b.jpg

6166001709_a77e748fb5_b.jpg

6166003187_af6635ddc1_b.jpg

Stevil said:
Jose, I forgot to say, nice shot of the ol' gal falling off her unicycle..right place ,right time.
What was she saying when she dropped,"Goodbye All,Bye!!!" ? She must have bounced cause
She just sort-of rolled gracefully and bounced right back up! Stevil, she is an amazing lady, simply amazing :!:

S5001511.jpg

ZygoteLittle said:
Stevil said:
She just sort-of rolled gracefully and bounced right back up! Stevil, she is an amazing lady, simply amazing :!:

S5001511.jpg
I missed that and she was pretty amazing, nice lady. What you didn't get a picture of is when I :oops: fell off Stevil's tall bike, you were standing there when that happened. It was an ugly moment for me but I walked away from it. The next day I took my double high out for a spin just to reassure I could still ride those dang things.

Graylock

Graylock said:
ZygoteLittle said:
Stevil said:

S5001511.jpg
I missed that and she was pretty amazing, nice lady. What you didn't get a picture of is when I :oops: fell off Stevil's tall bike, you were standing there when that happened. It was an ugly moment for me but I walked away from it. The next day I took my double high out for a spin just to reassure I could still ride those dang things.

Graylock
Yes, you feel away from Stevil and me; my greatest concern when seeing you fall was knee damage, you feel pretty hard. Glad to know you were alright, you’re obviously in good shape!

However, I have a high survival threshold – there is NO WAY you’ll ever see me on one of those things! LOL

But then again, if you can ride one of these things, you can fall off a bike! What’s the trick???
S5001512.jpg
2 8) :!:

Yesterday's edition of the Groton Landmark has an article about the festival, and there's an on-line version, too:
http://www.nashobapublishing.com/groton_news/ci_19011339
Stevil and Kota both get mentioned and featured in the photos. The reporter got a few things wrong, but mostly got it right. The on-line version doesn't yet have the photos posted, but that may get fixed.

Yea, I've been waiting for this article,and yep ,she got some things wrong. But some were right.
Gotta wait alittle longer for her pics :roll: Let's ride Rat Rodders !?
PS.Hot Rod Fallout this weekend in CT! :D ..................Stevil

Latest posts

Back