2012 Trek Pure Evil Build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i plan on removing the external gears and going with an 8 speed internal rear hub so i can remove the brakes and all the cables. i might put some apes on it too! i rode it today on our greenway trail and those bars aren't very friendly after 10 miles.

HighwheelerBoy, Bring this back from the dead because I have the same bike and want to start customizing it. Did you finish this project? I'm curious how it looked with the Ape Hangers.

Also, do you think the Hank 2.2's are the biggest tire I can stuff on the stock wheels and frame?

Thanks for the reply!

In that case I will order a set of 2.35 Fat Franks. For the bars I think a set of 13" (335mm) apes will be good for me. At that height my arms will be straight out. Although I like the higher bars, I still need to ride for a few miles at a time.

I ordered a set of CST Cyclops Tires - 26 x 2.4 and Tubes. Should get them in a few days and will report back on how they fit.

Ordered a set of 13" tall x 32" wide Apes too.

Last edited:
Finished it a couple of hours ago. The 2.4 tires fit fine and have about 1/4" clearance to the chain when it is in first gear. The bars have my arms level at the seat height in the photo.

It was pouring rain here so I couldn't ride it. Hopefully tomorrow I can get it on the road and get a better picture.

jhzcs7.jpg

Any advise on a rear rack? Something different not just black wire. Maybe one with wooden slats? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Latest posts

Back