3-Speed Hub Info

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I need help. I wanted to build a bike around a 3-Speed Shifter I got. I have never messed with a 3-Speed hub, and have a few (dumb) questions:

1.) Can I take any 3-speed hub and make it work on a 26", or 27" rim? If so what brand is best?

2.) Do they make 3-speed hubs/rims for large tires like 2.75 or whatever?

3.) If I was to get a 3-speed hub, could I theoretically lace it up on any rim I wanted?

Thanks. Also, if anyone has a 3-speed hub, or one on a larger rim I'm interested.

1. any three speed will lace to any rim as long as the holes are the same- ex. 36 hole rim for a 36 hole hub.
2. Should matter on tire size. you can change the gearing by varying the cog on the rear or the sprocket on the front.
3. see question #1.

If you have a 3speed without a coaster brake , you need a frame that has mounts for brakes. Old single speed cruiser frames will not generally work with a freewheel 3spd.

wow that sounds like a very cool hub - disc brakes? I saw somone building a bike in RRBO2 with brake drums - -were those made foe whizzers and stuff, or were they for regular, non motor bikes to? I love the way they look.

I found a couple old 3-Speed hubs shortly after i posted this topic - posted pics in the Fresh Find Section. Thank man, T>

Shimano has an internal geared hub that takes a disk.
expensive.. comparatively.

Back