'62 Schwinn American - New Project

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picking this '62 American up on Saturday. It's the one with the basket, sorry, small photo is all I have right now.

This will be my first official dedicated "rat" project. After only...four, five months of looking for a frame that's not a lightweight.

I'm pretty excited! :D

American.jpg

american2.jpg

SWEET!

Sounds like you and I are on the same track. I'm picking this beauty up on Saturday too...a 61 Flying Star.

7993_1.JPG

7a28_1.JPG

I love the straight bar frames, but I was happy just to find something that wasn't a lightweight!

I picked up a Hollywood from the same guy last Saturday and thought a day or two on the American. Decided it was a good bike to go for. I'll hopefully be selling enough of my other bikes at the swap here in town Saturday to get some parts to start customizing.

Steve, your Flying Star looks a lot like my 62 Typhoon. What a cool bike!

After the weekend, plans changed. The American, for the time being will just stay as it is. Just a little cleaning for now and then I'm going to concentrate on a bike called a Sliverstar Monarch I picked up. Built in Chicage, straigtbar frame. I've been mocking it up a few ways but have to re-weld someone's crappy re-weld before painting can start.

Also plan to rat the skiptooth Rollfast and one other cantilever frame I picked up, so for now the American is going to stay stock.

The basket is awesome too, it adds a lot of function to the bike, a rear rack may be in order also.

Back