'63 Schwinn Racer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Just picked this up today. It was on Craigslist but they had spelled misspelled 'Schwinn' so it didn't come up in the search. When I called she said if I come get it today I could have it for $20. The serial number on the drop out is hard to read but it looks like A349380, which I think means it was made in January of 1963. The fenders on it are pretty well trashed, especially the front one. The rear is a S-6 rim and a single red band Bendix hub, and the front is a no name. I assume that at some time the front tire was smashed and that is when the fender got beat up. The forks look pretty straight, but then again I probably wouldn't know if they were bent. The tires aren't original and are about to fall apart. Most of the chrome should shine up except maybe the handlebars and neck. I was originally just going to sell it but it is growing on me. Is it pretty easy to find a s-6 front wheel to match the rear? Do you have to use specific s-6 tires too? Also sorry the pictures aren't very good, I think my camera is slowly dying.

racerside.jpg

It's hard to see in the pic, but the front fender is folded into a peak.
racerfront.jpg

Hard to tell from the photo, but the rear looks like an S5 not an S6. If it has a raised center, it is an S5. Both rims take the same tire (26 x 1 3/8), and it is a Schwinn specific size. The tire must be made for Schwinn S5 or S6 and I believe the only company currently making that size is Kenda. It is not the same size as other 26 x 1 3/8. I have a 26 inch front S5 wheel I could sell you but not S6.

Great deal for $20! FYI-The front fender is supposed to have that peak! Look's alittle bent upward though! my 62'Speedster & the wifes 52'Breeze have the same fender! Don't toss it! :wink:
L8 EM

Crassly- Man do you guys have good eyes for detail. I went and cleaned of the rim a bit and sure enough what I thought was a 6 ended up being a 5. I'm not sure yet what direction I'm going with this bike, but I might take you up on that S-5 front wheel.

Bunbury- It does look like two front fenders. However at some point in time someone just cut off part of the rear fender, but at least they did a good job.

TheDuke- The peak is definitely supposed to be there, unfortunately it is bent if several directions. Lol. I don't know if I'll use the fenders on this bike, but don't worry I won't throw them away.

So after looking at the bike some more the fork is bent up pretty good but it works for now. I wanted to take it for a ride but the rear tire is dead. So I put on a 26x2.125 rim and tire off of a cruiser. The tire barely clears the rim and I don't think you could fit a playing card in the gap. I thought the bike was going to feel really small but it is a really comfortable ride. It is really smooth other than with the bent fork the wheel looks crooked. With the big tire in the back it does look a little like a mountain bike to me. I have a set of 2 speed s-7's that I was going to use for another bike that I might put on this one instead. I just need to get some tires. Thanks everyone for the comments!

racer3.jpg

racer4.jpg

Back