ORBO A noMad

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spent a few minutes on it today and realized it has 3x8 speed pod shifters and a 7 speed freewheel on the replacement wheels. I have some 7 speed with v-brake lever sets so the PowerTools brakes may come off. I thoroughly cleaned and lubed the 8 speed shifter but it's still pretty rough so i won't mind taking that off.

Rear der changed out too. Removed the probably not stock and rather worn looking Deore XT (1998) and installed an Alivio, also from 1998. IMO, The 1990s Alivio is one of Shimano's most durable and reliable derailleurs of all time.

Shimano.Deore.LX.RD-M570.WF.1998.June (1).JPG
Shimano.Alivio.RD-MC18.WD.1978.April (1).JPG

Grips have topographic lines on them 2400 & 3200 feet! I wonder if they made them up or just copied a bit of map from somewhere.
I didn't want to cut them for the bar ends but turns out I don't have to. They will get a good scrubbing when removed for the lever changes.
Grips (2).JPG

Aspen.bar.ends.JPG

Bonus photo, a rather rare long cage Tourney from 1991. One of the easiest shifting derailleurs. Works so much better than all the cheap offerings from Huret, Simplex, Schwinn Approved GTs, etc.

Shimano.Tourney.Long.RD-TY10.PE.1991.May (2).JPG

The "Power Tools" logo makes me think the levers might have come from a promotional bike, esp considering the lightening bolt, doesn't make sense for a bike accessory. Maybe something like a DeWalt thing given to stores or something. I can't find any evidence of anything online

I found it.
Apparently "Power Tools" was KHS' components brand name. A selection are on ebay along with 100+ KHS frames.
KHS is based in California, bikes made in Taiwan. When I was in school and working at a lbs, we carried some low end KHS road bikes. We were not impressed. Early 1980s, the shop was in deep doodoo and could only order bikes COD for inventory so that meant off brand bikes.

Price list codes suggest it came with the LX der. Listed under the rigid bikes. I found a post on the www that said the Nomad was a full suspension 1 year, soft tail the next and rigid the next. Only 1 catalog to be found from 1993.

KHS.1998.price.list.jpg
Power.Tools.pedals.ebay.jpg
Power.Tools.Serfas.saddle.ebay.png
Power.Tools.Stem.ebay.jpg
power.tools.stem.short.ebay.jpg

Power.Tools.Saddle.ebay.jpg

Last edited:
Cool frame! I hope you keep the rear shock, many options to replace bumper; maybe a rigged heavy duty spring?

And, wow! You got the snow fer sure! Iowa, right?

controls changed to EF-28 shifter/brake set. circa 1999/2000. Decent working basic model from Shimano.
Grips cleaned up.
brake cables installed.
handle bars slightly dented on one end from previous bar ends. The bar ends seem to sit pretty solid so I'll keep them for now. Looks like a softer aluminum alloy. dated 1998. The brand name on them is LeadTec. A heavy name for light bars.

Topographic.grips.JPG
LeadTec.89.685A.bars (1).JPG
Shimano.EF-28.shifters (5).JPG

And, wow! You got the snow fer sure! Iowa, right?

hit -17f last night. And about 2 feet of snow in the past week in 3 rounds. The big winds brought the cold in so that blew snow all over. Drifts 3 feet to no snow on the roof of the bike coop. That's the only plus. When the snow melts off the roof it refreezes on the north side walk and gets super slick. There is just no where else to run gutters which are now solid ice bricks. Takes a couple bags of salt to keep the sidewalk walkable. Transmission seizing up on the snow blower. I've never had that apart before and it's too cold out to work on that.

Done for now. 31 pounds. No single track to ride on. Big temperature jump today, up to 15F so I got in a 1 mile ride on mostly plowed streets. Didn't want to get it too messy on the first ride. Top tube too long, seat tube to short to fit me so it will go on the block. Typical geometry for mountain bikes in the late 1990s.

KHS.Nomad (5).1000px.jpg
KHS.Nomad (9).1000px.jpg
KHS.Nomad (10).1000px.jpg

Last edited:

Scores of huge white pelicans resting on the Mississippi River on their way somewhere else.

Muscatine Iowa newest tourist attraction

new war memorial site in Davenport. Covering the Civil war to the Space Force.

Centennial Bridge to Rock Island

Love the vintage mtb resurrection! A great era in the history of the mountain bike. I took the liberty to crop your huge log photo. I like the way it shows off your bike, colors and components.

Screenshot_20240316-093241_kindlephoto-475477640.png

Back