beware old tires vs. new tubes?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
needless to say, both the tire and the tube lose. ogb and i experienced this up close and personal. the funny part is that we must have been expecting it due to the fact neither of us even flinched, and we were using the compressor at my moms house. when she heard the bang she looked out the window, saw us , shrugged shoulders, smi led and walked off. shes pretty used to small explosions.
nastynotch011.jpg
nastynotch010.jpg

pretty neat huh?

I had something simillar happen when I was walking my bike back home (fork legs bent out of crown) but it didn't make a cool star pattern like that. I'd hang it up somewhere and say you were shot at while riding or something equally interesting.

I got some old tires ( 25 or 30, mostly 2.125x 26 ) at an auction (cheap), some looked good, some didn't. I wanted to run a good pair, of 50 year old tires, on an old 1930s Hawthorne, I put new tubes in, aired them up and 1 of them goes BOOM. Well looking thru all these old tires I found one that had another tire with the bead cut off inside of it.
Hmmm, I tried it, put one tire inside another and the tube inside the inner tire. I was heck to mount but it worked.
Probably makes it thorne proof, too.
Because that bicycle has 3 tires on it, does that make it a tricycle? Dangerous Dan

old stuff is always funny. as for the tire inside the tire that just makes it twice as tough.

wow well i would say that tire was done before you even put the tube in it. i would not blame the new tube it is the operator. when i use old tires i am always carefull to first put in say 15 psi then spin it to make sure there are no bulges, and that the tire is seated. then inflate more but i will typicly stop around 35 to 40 psi because of the old rubber.
on a side note when i first build the lucky 7 i used an old set of us royal tires that looked really nice. but no matter how much i inflated them the rubber was so old and slick that they would shift on the rims causing the valve stems to get pushed over till one day i went to the store to get a sandwich. parked it inside as i always do talked to a guy for a second then we here poof (not a bang or pop) then hear the dice valve cap hit the floor. the whole valve had riped off the tube it was funny.

We did not just hold the air to it.That happened after about 10 pounds.It was a cheap tube,dry rotted craked tire & a cheap operator.The tire was real bad to start,but I have ridden on worse.I like an ALL OG bike & have since I was a seed in the pod.

the tubes were not cheap and the operator is top notch. the blown up tire was due to wishful thinking on many parts.

Back