bicicleta para el cinco de mayo

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was working at the local bike shop during the bike boom, the owners had problems getting bikes to sell. Raleigh was their main line but with Raleigh they would order 300 to 350 bikes in September for January delivery and sell them all in just a couple months. So they had to buy any other brands they could get until the next ordering window. We counted about 30 brands carried in the 1970s. Some were one-time only orders. Atala, Maserati, Drake, and Bimex. Some were just so badly built we didn't want anything to do them again. The low end Italian bikes were especially bad. I remember one batch of Bimex 10 speeds. I think we got about a dozen to sell. Red or blue basic 10 speed. Sold for about $100 to $120. The consensus was it wasn't as good as the owners wanted to carry so no more ever showed up. The unique thing is it was made in Mexico with a Mexican name. Mexico is certainly not considered a cycling nation. Equipped with mostly imported parts. An aluminum cottered crank! Who does that? Plastic Simplex derailleurs and down tube shift levers. Aluminum rims. Lugged frame. Aluminum stem & bars. I saw one at a bike shop about 10 years ago while on a tour. I regretted not offering the owner something and making arrangements to pick it up on the way home. Well January 2023, someone donated one to our local bike coop. Of course it went home with me. I pulled it out the shed yesterday with the intent of getting it rideable by Cinco de Mayo (May 5th, a Mexican national holiday celebrating a battle victory over the French). In the past we've tried to dine at a locally owned Mexican restaurant but they are usually over run. My favorite was torn down after the August 2020 Derecho damaged the building.

The bike is pretty light weight. A quick looksee calls for a complete overhaul, cables and tires and seat, etc. The serial number is 179. yeah, a low production bike for sure. I don't know if there is anyway of dating the bike for sure so I"m guessing 1972-1975. I'll look for date codes on any parts. I might swap the bars and brake levers for a flat bars setup. The rack was removed. Toe clips will go away. The IMPACTO Made in Mexico leather seat is listed on ebay. That really belongs in some museum. Well so does the whole bike.

52613057507_26f0616df8_b.jpg

52613996095_4aa5f2028b_b.jpg

52614058388_6ed2c1b831_b.jpg

SR.Grand.Silver.Chainwheel.cottered.BIMEX.JPEG

Last edited:
Rick, don't you want to keep the seat at least until your ride on Cinco de Mayo? It's part of the bike's heritage. Treat it with some mink oil. That will soften the leather and keep it from cracking.

1714186359435.png

Giving this bike a complete overhaul.
Rear hub is a Super Olympic and is decent. stone ground bearing cups & cones. It's been years since I saw that in a hub.
Old style Shimano freewheel is spinning freely afters some cleaning and lube.
Front hub is stamped Alfa and pretty much matches the rear hub.
Rims are unbranded aluminum. The rear dish was way off. Someone was messing with it in the past. 2 lock washers on the left side, none on the right. All better now.
Mismatched and surely not original skewers. Rear is a Shimano and the front was a Zeus.
Rotted tires tossed. Both tubes have steel threaded in valve stems. The stem base is too wide to sit down in the 27 inch road rims. Both tubes have near-blow-out-nipples by the stem. Michelin tubes. One made in Spain, one made in England. Probably original equipment. I don't think this bike has a whole lot of miles on it.
Cotter pins removed okay. Chainring/sprocket had a lot of crud on them but soaking in soapy water for a while got it loosened up.
Found a couple of dates on the parts.
73 on the cranks.
Feb 72 on the Simplex derailleur

Img_8062.jpg

Img_8066.jpg

IMG_8059.JPG

Michelin.Tubes.England.Spain (10).JPG

I found a faint decal on the top tube "Tour Master".

The crud around the bb is tougher than the paint. No using Scotch Brite pads on the frame/fork. I tried to soak the frame and that softened up the paint. The paint was coming off with a soft toothbrush. Stop! Wax or clearcoat? Wax on. Tomorrow wax off.

Double layer headset cups with 1/8" bearings. Tiny. Most headsets use 3/32" or 3/16" balls.

179.jpg
Img_8077.jpg
Tour.Master.JPG

Last edited:
Quienes Somos
Bicicletas de México, S.A de C.V es una empresa mexicana que fue fundada en 1951, la cual comenzó a operar con la marca BMS y otros modelos bajo la lidencia de Raleigh Industries Limited, la marca mas antigua y prestigiada de bicicletas en el mundo, nuestra historia y prestigio continua en cada una de las bicicletas que fabricamos.

Nuestro catálogo de productos abarca bicicletas infantiles, adolescentes y adultos tipo montaña y de ruta.

“Con nuestros 70 años de experiencia buscamos ser el motor de tu vida”

Looks like they are still in business. Translation from google:

About us
Bicicletas de México, S.A de C.V is a Mexican company that was founded in 1951, which began operating with the BMS brand and other models under the leadership of Raleigh Industries Limited, the oldest and most prestigious bicycle brand in the world, our history and prestige continues in each of the bicycles we manufacture.

Our product catalog covers children's, adolescent and adult mountain and road bicycles.

“With our 70 years of experience we seek to be the driving force of your life”

Back