Board Tracker/ Moped Conversion

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
index.php

index.php

The finished bend- It turned out surprisingly well, I was relieved that there were no kinks.
thats a pretty nice tight bend you mange to make there , was it conduit pipe ? i have only manage to make about 10'' radious without it starting to flatten with tubing similar to the thickness of bikes

Build is looking sweet! :113:

Last edited:
I'm not too privy on engines, is this a pedal start set-up, like a moped? Frame mods look good. Big springer bumped out a bit will really give it that 'moto' look!
It will be pedal start and will also be able to be pedaled like a regular bike. Its kind of hard to visualize, it'll be clearer when I mount the jackshaft and all of the components that go on it- coming soon!

thats a pretty nice tight bend you mange to make there , was it conduit pipe ? i have only manage to make about 10'' radious without it starting to flatten with tubing similar to the thickness of bikes

Build is looking sweet! :113:
Thanks! It is just plain mild steel tube like you'd find at your local steelyard or the steel bin at home depot.

I don't currently, and I agree with you. I am open to suggestions

You could run the exhaust around the engine and under. Or just fill it in with panels as a spot for some paint. Or make a little tool box shaped to fit the spot.

20170131_113027.jpg

Weekly Update! Welded on the jackshaft bearing block mounts.

20170201_110547.jpg

And here are the bearing blocks bolted on with the jackshaft stock in place

20170202_104525.jpg

And the jackshaft stock cut to length and all of the parts mocked up (clutch, freewheel, pulley). Freewheel adapter is temporary, I will turn a better one soon. One thing I noticed: the clutch housing extends kind of far off to the left, it would have been better if I welded the bearing block mounts more to the right of center on the seat tube, as the band brake mount will now have to extend rather far off of the frame in order to match. The clutch is sprocket-facing-seat-tube orientation to ensure the chain clears the seat stays.

20170207_164933.jpg

20170209_113229.jpg

Turned a hub for the freewheel on the jackshaft and put a set screw on it, and welded the freewheel directly to the hub.

20170209_113308.jpg

Also ground away part of the left chain stay to give the sprocket enough clearance.

There's threads here about the bad construction of this fork... lift the chrome crown and check the welds. Hoping yours is ok, ESPECIALLY on a motored build. Looking good brother.

Guitarl. [emoji450]

Its been a while since I last posted, I got really busy. This past week I had some free time so I did get some work done. For starters, the chunk I cut out of the chainstay was enough for the sprocket to clear but not the chain, so I ended up just cutting out a three inch section and welding in flat stock.

20170223_111226.jpg

Then, I cut a chunk out of the other chainstay so that the chain ring that will drive the rear wheel when the engine isnt running clears.

20170302_104452.jpg

And as you can see, I cannibalized a bottom bracket off an old broken fixie and welded it on behind the original bottom bracket; the crank arms wouldn't have cleared the engine otherwise. I suppose I will use the old bottom bracket to store a patch kit.

20170214_111344.jpg

Anyways, we are getting close to having a running bike! Just need to do chain work, brakes, get a belt, a seat, and handlebars.

Latest posts

Back