Board tracker questions

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been thinking about doing a board track style bike for some time. Some of the bikes on here are really amazing but it seems to me the seat is too low and too close to the crank. This seems to me it would make the bike not fit and would be unable to ride it. I build lots of bikes but they all have to fit and be able to go on rides. So My main thought to this is to find a taller frame than what I would be able to stand over at a stop. This would allow me to have the seat all the way down to the frame and be able to reach the pedals and then I could find the appropriate bars for the right reach. Is this the right approach to building a board tracker? Also should I do 26 or 27 inch/700cc wheels. If I go the 27 inch/700cc way, what is the widest tire I can find for the wheels? Any info would be a great help.

Some pics on here can be deceiving. I just finished a '35 Murray BT style. I would imagine most people on here are used to hittin there chin with there knees, I dont mind and it's not so bad, my knees barely go past 90 degrees. If you have a welder, you have endless possibilities... As far as using 700c, you wont be able to get much wider than 2", which isnt a bad thing as this will make your bike much faster. I am using 1- 3/8. I like it. Hope some of this helps and I am sure you will get more feedback. Have fun, I did!!! Oh, another thing, If you dont put brakes on your bike, like real boardtrack and like what I did, you'll spend most of the time with your shoes on the ground anyways... :shock: Sorry, I see on your intro, you done have a welder.

yup pics can be VERY deceiving..........la cucaracha is one of the most comfortable bikes i have and you could never tell by looking! try it if you dont like it........well........ not too hard to raise a seat and bars :wink:

I'm about 5'9" and this one isn't too bad to ride with the seat all the way down. If I raise it up it'll ride better, but not look quite right. The bars you have make a LOT of difference. I had the stock bars flipped, but they were way too close and the bike was a bear to ride. I popped a set of smaller bars from a girl's 20" bike on and it makes all the difference in the world. I'm looking for a lay-back seatpost for it and a longer 10-speed stem. Adding those two items should get the riding position just about right for my height. The seat will be a little a too far aft of the crank for optimal power, but these bikes are more about the look than the speed.

koolmongous015.jpg

Back