Build sheet

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a bike my Mother-in-law bought, she told me she bought it in 1940, but it appears it was bought in 1945 (ha...she lied to me, not the first time :roll: ). Can anybody figure out how much that bike would cost today, with inflation? Just thought it would be interesting to see a build sheet with the matching bike 63 years later!
001-5-1.jpg

Here it is today!
069.jpg

The dollar today is probably worth no more than 1/20th of what it was in 45, so probably in the $700 range plus higher sales tax.

WAY COOL,I've only seen build sheets for cars.

Never saw one for a bike before.

Wow, That bike was purchased right as WWII was ending, just days after Hitlers death.

You could build a NEW house in this area for about $3000-$3500 in 1945! That bike was about 1% the price of a new house. Today 1% of a house around here would be well over $3000. I never realized buying a bicycle, back then, was considered such a "major" purchase! And that bike was a BASIC bicycle, take a look at the options that are missing! :shock:

cman said:
Very cool. Now you need a picture from her riding it.

I'll ask!............Maybe get a NEW picture of her riding it!..........Nah, they'd charge with MANSLAUGHTER! And I have a couple of builds left in me. :lol:

I recently found the selling price for my 1950 CCM and it was in the range of $55. My Dad was an apprentice plumber at the time and he would pull in about $30 a week. So a week in a half salary for a tradesman that made it a major purchase back then. I guess that would make it in the $700 to $900 range today.

So when I see those Felt cruisers for $450, that's the right bike to buy new and not that orange "kawatapatha" thing at Wang-mart? I am waiting for it to go clearance, and then pass the hacksaw :mrgreen: I feel a little better about saving my change for a Felt.

inflation? well it is always good to fill the tires. you know so the cheapskate doesn't try to haggle about it. :roll:

Back