Cheap fixie project

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have wanted a fixie/ single speed for several years now.

Finally found a cheap donor bike. And I do mean cheap. Reclaimed. Free. Heck yeah!

I actually haven't found much info on it but it is a "Coast King" ESC4000. Apparently came with a OLD school bike computer. This thing is massive. Pretty cool, but not for this project. If anyone is in need of a classic computer, drop me a line.

IMG_0142.jpg

IMG_0143.jpg

IMG_0145.jpg

So what I have figured so far is these were bikes made by Huffy and sold at Coast to Coast hardware/department stores. My guess is early to mid 80's. Perhaps the height of "ten speeds" before they where displaced by mountain bikes.

Anyhow, pretty solid ride, just my size. I am going to be as cheap as I can be. I want a bull horn single speed with some really knobby-aggressive cyclocross tires. But thats it. Tore it apart today in the pseudo spring sunshine and enjoyed every minute of it. Boy, it needs a full cleaning and re-greasing of everything! Filthy! I found several spider carcasses in it.

Should be fun!

They aren't 27 inches. It's a pretty small bike, maybe a 52cm size or so. But I am an average-small guy and I can stand over it just fine.... my guess for the top bar stand over height is 28 inches.

snfargle said:
are 27 tires hard to find over in the US
cos i have a bit of trouble in the UK

When first looking for them i ahd some trouble, but have since found quite a few good options.

mmbackpacker said:
They aren't 27 inches. It's a pretty small bike, maybe a 52cm size or so. But I am an average-small guy and I can stand over it just fine.... my guess for the top bar stand over height is 28 inches.

Ahh.. gotcha. I ask because my early 70's japanese 50.5 cm fixed gear came with 27's. I cant wait til I can afford some 700c's.

240xgfo.jpg

2dhy7w8.jpg

That's the look I am going for right there.... clean, simple, elegant! I am wanting some knobbier tires though, to give it a little attitude. One of the things I really like about this frame is it is super clean, no cable or water bottle braze ones, or anything.

mmbackpacker said:
That's the look I am going for right there.... clean, simple, elegant! I am wanting some knobbier tires though, to give it a little attitude. One of the things I really like about this frame is it is super clean, no cable or water bottle braze ones, or anything.

Thanks for the kind words. You definately have a great selection of tires out there for these bikes and if I get your drift, your bike should be lookin pretty tough too. The dark silver color should work well towards that.

Back