Crash course

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Reading the article and responses about the cyclist killed in Idaho got me thinking about safety, and in particular a technique all pro riders and most motorcycle riders are aware of, and all riders use, but many don't ever realize it. I haven't noticed it mentioned here, it's called countersteering, and it's well worth practicing. I won't go into great detail, reams have been written about it and why it works, you can look it up if you wish. Basically, if you need to turn quickly, or at high speed, or against grade at the edge of pavement, or away from a close rail or wall, initiate your turn by pushing the bar away from you on the side you want to go, or pulling the bar toward you on the opposite side. If you've never tried it, find a place with no traffic and enough room to turn around, and give it a shot. You may be surprised at your ability to flick around stuff in the road, and hold a narrow track, compared to simply leaning. Don't get too aggressive on the first try, you WILL turn, or you WILL fall, good recovery may take a few times. Happy cycling!

Back