Cycloholics Anonymous

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of the disease, kind of a funny ad from the SD CL, not very impressive stash of parts though

Reaching Spiritual Awakening at Cycloholics Anonymous...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: [email protected]
Date: 2008-01-11, 1:11AM PST

1. We admitted we were powerless over bicycles and bicycle parts—that our lives had become unmanageable.
2. Came to believe that a non-cycling related Diety greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity
3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to clutter-free living
4. Made a searching and fearless cycling inventory of our stash
5. Admitted to the Shimano God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.
6. Were entirely ready to have perfect strangers remove all unused items
7. Humbly asked the Big Guy/Gal to remove our shortcomings.
8. Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.
9. Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.
10. Continued to take personal cycling inventory and when we were wrong to buy more wheelsets than bicycles, promptly admitted it.
11. Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with Big Guy/Gal as we understood Dude/Dudette, praying only for knowledge of His/Her Will for us and the power to carry that out.
12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to cycloholics, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.

If I could get rid of these parts, I'd be at step 12, come Friday night or Saturday during the day. Email me for location. Rummage throught it and find the stuff you NEED:

Still have a 47cm benotto up for grabs, spinergy wheelset, campy hub mavic wheelset 6spd, phil wood hub rear wheel tubular super champion rim, shimano 600 front and rear derailleur, :::::previously unlisted::::::: campy record hub mavic gp4 rim, front (make me an offer I can't refuse)

box_o_parts.jpg

xddorox said:
Hello, I'm Gerry and I'm a cycloholic. I sincerely wish I will never be cured :mrgreen:

I too, am a CYCLOHOLIC, and if Gerry gets cured, I GOT DIBS ON ALL HIS BIKES.

Hello my name is Bernard I am a cycloholic
if all of you ever get cured i will take your bike and paint them flat black :)

Hi my name is Trash. i'm just here for the free coffee and doughnuts. :mrgreen:

quitters never win and ratters never quit.

I am still struggling with #1. I don't believe I have a problem. Yeah, so I have bikes in my garage, bikes in my basement, bikes outside next to the house...on both sides. You know, I can stop when I want to...really. It's just when I see a bike on the side of the road waiting for the trash truck, or with a sign on it that says "free", it just needs a place to belong...like with me. So it's not really a problem, I'm helping these bikes. And it's not like my bikes are in piles everywhere, there in neatpiles, see, I'm orderly and stuff, see. And, and, my parts are all organized in bins, see...and, and, I'm not spending all my money on it and see...and, and, I'm only looking at bikes on the web till 12-12:30am and stuff, see...it's not like I'm looking at all night, see.

So it's not a problem okay, GOSH like YOU don't have problems. Why don't you just leave me alone! You don't understand anyway, it's not like YOU'RE passionate about ANYTHING. You just wish you were passionate about something, ANYTHING...I just like bikes, old bikes okay? You just don't know what it's like to be ME...nobody understands ME...it's all about ME anyway. I'm going to my room to light a bunch of candles in the dark and listen to Jazz....no, METAL, and I'm gonna sit there and BROOD and be all into ME.

I don't have a problem..............really.

jeff

ps. special thanks to momentary flashbacks to early 1981, Mountain Dew and a Percoset. :oops:

sounds like there is some familiarity w/ recovery programs! i got clean and sober almost 2 years ago, since then my garage (the 'chop shop' as i call it) has gotten new shelves, completely reorganized, and is waiting for a pegboard wall and big rollaround tool box stack of shelves. over the last 2 years my bike-a-holica has kicked into high and im spending alot of my 'bike time' taking apart bikes and organizing parts to keep the stockpile to a minimum. in fact its over the past 2 years that i got into rat bikes and custom kroozers. what a great alternative to the 'not-so-productive' ways i was spending my time and money!
fast eddie outty

never had the need for recovery so far. But I have had/have friends with all sorts of issues and I was a self-absorbed, self-centered, angsty teenager. God love my parents...
So now, I work with teens...and have for the last 15 years. And we have a recovery program at church as well. Good on ya for two years of sobriety, that's hard work and two years can seem like a million or just a couple of weeks. I think most people with addiction issues have elements of OCD in them (as I do) luckily, my issues show themselves with the hobbies I become obsessed with and not with dependency issues. And since I don't spend lots of money doing it (I could easily...if I hadany money) my wife doesn't get all crazy at me about it. She has her own issues with stamping and scrapbooking stuff, and her mom is a little OCD about hobbies so she "gets" me.

Now, if I could afford a tube bender and a welder and a............

jeff

speaking of tube benders,i have an old iron tube bender with a mount for pole/handle. a guy at a swap meet told me to tak a long pole that'll fit as a handle and bury it, put the bender on top, and that with a long enough cheater i could bend anything i'd need to for a bicycle. i have some poles already in the ground for what used to be a clothes line so im gonna see if i can make it work somehow.
good job workin w/ kids, if i woulda found bikes and gravity sports when i was a kid i might not have looked elswhere for entertainment.
fast eddie outty

Tisk,tisk....I don't consider this a problem, I'm in control....yup. :D Okay, there is a front rim in my closet behind the door that my wife hasn't seen yet :shock: Once a week, parts come in from ebay, but I can stop when ever I want!

Problem? Do you call buying a 70's Schwinn lil chik for your 3 month old daughter a problem?! lol

yea
i'm tryin to come up with somethoin corky about this so called 'problem' we all have
but ummm...
i'm drawin a blank

I don't think it's an addiction but a disorder. I like to tell my wife it's not my fault it's my B.A.D. ( bicycle acquisition disorder ) and until they find a cure she'll just have to put up with it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

last night i went to stroll some local streets cuz its their big trash day, i told myself "this time just one bike, this time it will be different, i can handle this"

i grabbed a decent looking ten speed, but after that its all starts to get blurry.....i woke up this morning with four bikes in my front yard that ill never use, and three more in the back yard that i dont even remember picking up. in the back seat of my car i found a tricycle that was missing a seat and a scooter with no handlebars. im missing an adjustable wrench and a screwdriver - i have no idea where i lost them. there is a big wheel parked in front of my garage w/ no pedals on it and a hole in the front wheel. i found two brake levers in the pocket of my coat. there was rust on my hands, grease in my hair (actually thats not so uncommon) and a broken spoke stuck in my shoe-lace....im so ashamed.

:mrgreen: :D :lol: fast eddie outty

Latest posts

Back