Dirty White Boy

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sweet Raleigh and parts. Last year was the first time I had laced a wheel since I was a kid. Just watch a ton of Youtubes on it first. Here is the jig I made to paint my spokes
WP_002073_zps6be518e2.jpg

Sweet Raleigh and parts. Last year was the first time I had laced a wheel since I was a kid. Just watch a ton of Youtubes on it first. Here is the jig I made to paint my spokes
WP_002073_zps6be518e2.jpg
EXCELLENT! If i drill the holes thread deep, I wont even need to mask them. I watched a lot of wheel lacing videos and these guys make it look easy. The front wheel will be a 3 trailing/3 leading pattern like this: http://www.minortriad.com/wheel.html It will work with normal 3x length spokes. Since the spokes will be painted, I don't want to interlace them so they won't rub the paint off. There are two opinions as to the wisdom of that – stupid and OK. The rims and hubs are meaty so I'll let you know. Thanks for the idea.

I set the depth of my drill press to the depth of the threads as you guessed. Just make sure you let the paint cure on the spokes for a few days and you shouldn't have too much of it rub off. It's pretty easy to touch them up with a brush later too.

I set the depth of my drill press to the depth of the threads as you guessed. Just make sure you let the paint cure on the spokes for a few days and you shouldn't have too much of it rub off. It's pretty easy to touch them up with a brush later too.

I've been sanding the spokes which are UCP but theres a zinc smell. I think zinc chromate self-etching primer will do the job even though it's designed for aluminum. Then red (probably).

Anyone have any experienced with non-interlaced wheels?

Back