Efkade seat & Sturmy Archer hub

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found an abandon bike that had a seat with the metal plate on the back that said Efkade made in Holland.
I have searched but can't find any info on this company. :?
The bike also had Schwinn rims with a Sturmy Archer rear hub that has the 3 speed in the hub.
I need to find out what the threading is because I have gone everywhere in town and no one has anything that will fit. :(
The local bike shop says it's an old Schwinn and good luck finding a nut for it. :x
Any info on these two items would be appreciated.
I will try to get some pics up at some point if needed.

The threading is something like 10mm with like 1.75 pitch. I borrowed a tap set from a friend to try to figure it out and couldn't find it.
Here is a link a friend of mine sent me of where I could buy one if it came down to it.
http://harriscyclery.net/product/sturmey-archer-axle-nut-left-plain-858.htm
This is the pic from the site of the nuts.
hmn128.jpg

Here is a pic of the seat also. I couldn't find anything on the company.
100_3397.jpg

there will be a few random numbers also stamped onto the hub casing. If you look at the S.A. logo on the hub, the year oughtta be the first number under it. Then to the right, there will be another number, like my S.A. 3speed hub from my 67' Schwinn reads 67 and then to the right I got a number 12. Guess it means something to someone. :roll:

That would be the same as mine other than the 12 on yours and a 7 on mine.

I am wondering if the 2nd number would be a month?

The left hand (non-drive-side) nuts on Sturmey-Archer 3-speeds regularly fail in this way- the threads strip out of the nut.

I can't tell you how many of them I've replaced. They are a unique thread, thanks to our English friends. It works out to something like 3/8"-26 threads per inch. It's not something you will find anywhere but a bike shop.

Luckily they are not expensive as you found, and are available from the online suppliers. If you have another junk bike, you can use the special nut that's on the drive side to fix the other side, just disconnect the cable and unscrew the chain/rod that goes into the hub.

Do not tighten these excessively or you'll be replacing it again.

There is also supposed to be a special anti-rotation washer with 2 small teeth sticking out of it. If the nut is missing, you might need one of these as well. Luckily, Sturmey Archer's hardware has not changed much in over 50 years, so almost ANY 3-speed can be a parts donor.

Good luck!

--Rob

Latest posts

Back