First stretch build (out of the box)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three of us (myself, my father-in-law and my brother-in-law) chipped in to buy my wife's nephew a stretch cruiser bike for his graduation (8th grade). He has always wanted one ever since I got into this old bike hobby. He's my main cruising partner.

So, I found this bike from a vendor on CL in SoCal. Ordered it last Friday and received it (undamaged) on Wednesday. We assembled it that day.

110_4795.JPG

110_4797.JPG

110_4802.JPG

110_4801.JPG

Changed out the blackwalls to whitewalls.
110_4803.JPG

He wanted to try and put the bike together by himself. He wants to learn so I let him at it with my tools.
110_4804.JPG

Here it is assembled around 10pm. We started around 7pm.
110_4805.JPG

And here it is in daylight the next day. Sorry about the crappy cell phone picture.
110_4806a.jpg

Surprisingly, the assembly went together fairly smooth. It was easier than I thought considering that this is a "crappy" Chinese-made bike. I did have an issue with the middle rear fender stay that had to be re-adjusted. Otherwise, the bike rides and handles very nice and smooth. I want one now, too. :mrgreen:

Nice Looking bike!

Also, Good for you for letting the young man wrench on his own bike. A little guideance along with patience will go a long way. We all have to start out someplace, and to have help makes the learning curve a little less steep.

Cool to see a young blood getting into this hobby......I hope he is riding that stretch to football practice....... :) .....

Also rad idea for rewarding the kid for doing well in school.......Big thumbs up for that......

rustyspokes21 said:
Also rad idea for rewarding the kid for doing well in school.......Big thumbs up for that......

He had to pull his shtuff together to graduate. He pulled up each grade by at least one letter for each one of his classes. I showed him a picture of the bike and that's when he got the fire in his butt to get cracking on his make-up school work.

voodoo curse said:
Dude let's get together for Tour De Fat

We should, but finding the time is hard. I recently moved and still unpacking and getting my garage in order before my 37 Chrysler Airflow is back from being fixed. Then I'll be riding in the Airflow. I haven't ridden a bike in at least two months now.

Shows good initiative on the part of your Nephew to do the assembly.

I did the same thing for my Grandson 2 years ago with a Low Rider, he then built a Beach Cruiser with springer forks and a new paint Job for his Dad so they could go around Cruising Phoenix.

I just picked up a Micargi Puma and they say does not take long to put it together, 3 hours later I was done, but now I am adding some goodies & taking off most of the Flame stickers.

Those Rear Fenders are a B!+(# to Install.

Back