TRADITIONAL 🅵🅾🅾🅻🅸🅶🅰🅽 - 1930s Elgin Oriole

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad you got those parts off, (looks like relatively easily) 👍🏼

Me too. Yes, they did come loose easier than I expected. I had already sprayed them with a little PB Blaster when I brought the frame home. I expected more of a fight. The crank nuts moved pretty freely. I only had the cut the crank arm because the weld was fat and ugly.

There actually quite common on early British bikes all the way to the 50s we used them in Canada up to the 40s irony is in the end they didn't really much but killer little details when polished up usually brass

Yeah, that weld job on the cranks was ugly. The fillets on the frame look really good though.

Murray built brazing

Please pass on my kudos to QueenPfish on her fabulous flowers and flora!
That is one unique frame you've got there KF. My next two days are extraction and deconstruction as well. Do you use just regular dish soap, and what material is your big brush, regular natural bristles or stiffer metal - ish type?

Please pass on my kudos to QueenPfish on her fabulous flowers and flora!
That is one unique frame you've got there KF. My next two days are extraction and deconstruction as well. Do you use just regular dish soap, and what material is your big brush, regular natural bristles or stiffer metal - ish type?

It was a light scrubbing with the first scrub brush and cleaner that were handy. Stiff car tire brush and what was left of some Fantastic all purpose cleaner. There was a ton of ancient grease and crud buildup around the BB, so I used some scraper edges to free it up for cleaning. More cleaning needs to be done eventually.....especially around the STIFF NIPPLES :D @BDC

hzzzzzz. He said ‘nipples’!

Hzzzz. He said 'stiffer'.

It was a light scrubbing with the first scrub brush and cleaner that were handy. Stiff car tire brush and what was left of some Fantastic all purpose cleaner. There was a ton of ancient grease and crud buildup around the BB, so I used some scraper edges to free it up for cleaning. More cleaning needs to be done eventually.....especially around the STIFF NIPPLES :D @BDC
Rat rod bikes where 14 year old men come to play🤣

Nice job with the garden! I'm sure you're both very proud. Looks like a wonderful space to go relax in the evenings!

The bike looks to be in good shape but the fork looks like it may have had a run in with a wall in the past. Hopefully it's just the camera playing tricks.
264050-20240501-165235.jpg

We do enjoy it. She had a blast making it full of blooms for the tour. She even pulled out her little Dahon and dressed it with flowers. (This is the first bike I built up as a grown adult a year or two before discovering RRB).

263112-20240420-171854.jpg

1714694900947.png

Nice job with the garden! I'm sure you're both very proud. Looks like a wonderful space to go relax in the evenings!

The bike looks to be in good shape but the fork looks like it may have had a run in with a wall in the past. Hopefully it's just the camera playing tricks.
264050-20240501-165235.jpg

Yes, the fork steertube is bent, plus it has a chunk of the stem frozen inside. I was thinking of using a springer anyway.
Your post was perfect timing. I had brought 3 springers home from my stash the other day and had just taken them out of the car earlier tonight .

20240502_194142.jpg
20240502_194349.jpg
20240502_194402.jpg
20240502_194553.jpg
20240502_194604.jpg
20240502_194852.jpg
20240502_194906.jpg

Back