Handlebar Stem Options...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Ok, my bike has a fork tube that takes a 7/8 inch stem. Handlebar center section is 1 inch. I assume this a pretty common stem size for older American bikes. My stem is old and beat up, so I want to replace it (with a taller one).

What kind do you guys use? I see that most of the sites only list 1 measurement on the stem...is that for the down-stem piece or the handlebar section. Example:

http://www.bikepartsusa.com/cgi-bin/cat ... egory=stem

Will this fit a 7/8 down tube and a 1 inch handlebar???

Thanks,
Dan

That should work, if your measurements on your steer tube are correct. What is the brand and year of the bike/fork? Older Schwinn's, BMX and a few others used a stem that measured 21.1.

The bike is a 50's (maybe 60's) Western Flyer tank bike. The fork however, will be one of the Murry (???) made springers. The stem that fits down into both forks is a 7/8 (as measured with a large wrench). So, I know that 7/8 inch=22.2 mm and I need that diameter stem.

I am just curious how universal the section for the handlebars are. All the bars I have around here are 1" in the center. That stem I linked does not show a measurement for that. If it's made for a 7/8 inch handllbar, can it be streched to fit a 1"?

Dan

Most of the quill style stems I've run across are 1" clamp(bar) and you need a shim to use with a 7/8" handlebar, I ually use BMX style stems since most of teh older style clamp 7/8" but are readily available

Edit: An option I prefer with ape hangers is using a quill converter like below, then I can use any of the 1 1/8 BMX stems which are really beefy

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...oretype=&estoreid=&pagename=Show All Products

Dan',I dont have an answer,but I just noticed...

Is that Shemp in your av? Im a Stooges fan from way back.

MagicRat said:
Dan',I dont have an answer,but I just noticed...

Is that Shemp in your av? Im a Stooges fan from way back.

Yeah, that's Shemp. Who doesn't like the Stooges? :D

Socal_jack, thanks for the idea. That is a good high-tech look.

Dan

Back