How do I deal with this?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
I've never run into this before. This girl's Sears Spyder 24" my friend bought for his girlfriend has these reflectors on the fork instead of a decal "dart". They are in great shape and I don't want to screw them up, but they have to come off to paint.

A) How do I gently take them off?

B) How do I correctly reinstall them?

It looks like rivets hold them on.

goyHMJ.jpg

:39: Hmm, anything I can think off would risk breaking them...
The best option may be starting with a really small drill bit and drill the centre of the rivets out, then drill them with the right size drill bit...

Luke

I have had with this problem before. I used a pen knife to get under the reflector and pry the rivet up. Then some vice grips on the rivet to pull it out. To get 4 rivets out without breaking a reflector will be lucky. Don't worry for 10 bucks you can buy 4 more reflectors so you get a chance on another bike someday...lol

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-2-SETS-...357759?hash=item3f36ebb97f:g:raIAAMXQuTNTPGfY

That's how I've done it twice. Been lucky never broke one. Once you get them started a hacksaw blade with the teeth ground off is stiff enough to pry with. Just take your time.

I have had with this problem before. I used a pen knife to get under the reflector and pry the rivet up. Then some vice grips on the rivet to pull it out. To get 4 rivets out without breaking a reflector will be lucky. Don't worry for 10 bucks you can buy 4 more reflectors so you get a chance on another bike someday...lol

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-2-SETS-...357759?hash=item3f36ebb97f:g:raIAAMXQuTNTPGfY
Thanks for that link. I'll get Doc Tanks, but have these as a "oh crap" backup. Any idea what size rivet? I'm assuming I'd use the tap in rivets I've used to replace head badges?

I have a Hawthorne tandem with reflectors on the forks similar to these. Just curious @CRASH where do you get the rivets you mentioned for headbadges?

where do you get the rivets you mentioned for headbadges?
I got them off eBay. I have to get some more, so I'll link what I get. I think I got them from England?

The answer to the reflectors was pretty easy. I got a replacement set. In fact, thanks to Dr. Tank I got a couple. So I wasn't concerned about the reflectors. So I decided to pry on them. I cracked them around the rivets and removed them in chunks from around them. That left the rivets standing exposed. I just took pliers and twisted them out. I salvaged all 4 of them just fine. So I'll reuse them after the forks get painted.

Back