how to attach this to each other

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
okay well i love to add another sprocket to this hub but i cant think of a proper way to attach this to it beside welding it crudely

002-12.jpg

001-11.jpg

CCR said:
ahhh i see, weld it, i would just makes sure 2 chains will have enough clearance to sit side by side tho without catchin on each other. should be okay but doesnt hurt to check first.

did they ever make a 3 speed hub with a thread on freewheel ? if so you could use a double cog freewheel.

i guess it wont hurt to weld it :)

wait!
before you weld it...

i was thinking about this at work...
i think the 2nd ring actually needs to be welded on the hub itself for the gearing to work... other wise it will just be a 1:1 jackshaft...

does this make sense?

oct.

october said:
wait!
before you weld it...

i was thinking about this at work...
i think the 2nd ring actually needs to be welded on the hub itself for the gearing to work... other wise it will just be a 1:1 jackshaft...

does this make sense?

oct.

yeah he's right !!!

i was thinkin about the easiest way to attach it, but you wont be able to take advantage of the shifting if you just weld it to the cog, wheel will only go as fast as you can pedal

he wants to have 3 speed gearing while using a 140 spoke wheel...
so he is trying to use the 3 speed hub as a jackshaft.
it would need to be set up like it would be on a trike.

here are pics of a trike 3speed rear... see how the 2nd ring is attached to the hub flange... that is what i meant in my above post...

DSC02238.jpg

DSC02237.jpg

DSC02236.jpg

hope this is of some help...

oct.

Thanks, October..... that was one of those mental exercises where I needed to think outside the box

bad news said:
well i found this picture a while ago and i thought i could do the same thing to my hub

l_ee83f51882305adad8aef96a3b427ed8.jpg
Whose dirty chain is that? lol

Back