Idio(t) Syncrasies

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys have a few things that you always try to have worked into a build? A tell tail sign it's your work, a pet peeve if you will?

I have a couple. (LOL, turned out to be 4)

I always try to line up the valve stem with the center of the tire label.

I always try to have matching valve caps, even if they're black plastic cheapies that come with the tubes.

I always try t have the grips reasonably match the saddle.

I always try to have the tires match or have very similar tread if they happen to be different sizes.

What's your particular ailment? :lol:

white hunt wilde grips...

white walls...

coaster brake...

retro block pedals...

it seems all my bikes have these...

62Higgins said:
Do you guys have a few things that you always try to have worked into a build? A tell tail sign it's your work, a pet peeve if you will?

I have a couple. (LOL, turned out to be 4)

I always try to line up the valve stem with the center of the tire label.

I always try to have matching valve caps, even if they're black plastic cheapies that come with the tubes.

I always try t have the grips reasonably match the saddle.

I always try to have the tires match or have very similar tread if they happen to be different sizes.

What's your particular ailment? :lol:

Got a little OCD thing goin' there, eh?

Well..... You ain't alone!
I'll go with ALL of the above, and add a few.

Matching nuts on both ends (and both sides!)

Rims should be same profile (stamped shape?) on front and rear, even if different sizes. (You'll have to look at some of my bikes to figure that one out!)

Pedals are a personal statement. One off types or oddball stuff REALLY floats my boat! (Check the early 50's Monitor Newlites on the Rat Royale!)

I like oddball valve stem caps too, and yes, there has to be a pair!

There are more, but my mind is not working well tonight...

Re: the "matching grips and seat" thing. My wife says that is pushing out the feminine side..... I don't think she's looking at the right person when she says that though. NO WAY I could EVER be mistaken for feminine! :mrgreen:

Oh well... To each our own!

Nice to know I am not alone in my struggle to even things out in the little world I call "bicycledom" !

Rat Royale
REC Elsewhere

must have

- 2 pedals

- air in BOTH tires

:lol:

other than that i prefer horns to bells and like to have a headlight but ill ride a bike without em , also a fan of HW white grips too.

My idiotcincrisies are usually complete the bike at 11pm and have to take it for a test ride. Nothing else matters to me besides that I am happy with the work for better or worse.

I have a pet peeve.....greasy fingerprints on white walls.

Man they are stinkin' hard to get off!!!! :shock:

My failing is that I enjoy the hunt as much if not more than the build. I'm happiest when on Safari for the next bike. Doesn't matter if it's that mint Schwinn Paramount for $25 (yeah right) or some old beater 3-spd for free. I'm always looking and getting excited about something else. Makes it hard to finish a build. That and my job... stupid 70 hour a week job always getting in the way. I like my 60 Columbia. It doesn't fit me all that well but it's unique and it's staying. My board tracker is down to tires, the rear wheel, and a custom droped seat post. Maybe a Brooks saddle if I can get one. I'll keep it or some variant of it around as well. The rest I'm not super attached too and I'm wheeling and dealing to keep some liquid funds for the next gotta have.

It's sad, but it's me.

No squeeks...of any Kind..
I like a well lubricated/Packed/Greased Bike ...so
I can hear the Wind when I ride...

Grips / seat matching is something I work towards.
Flow and Continuity in my Builds....

and they must be Rideable...
If I can't ride it like it's a rental....I won't Build it!

When I laced wheels, I used to make sure that the hub lettering was facing up exactly from the rim label. The tire lettering would also be centered with the rim label. Like that, all the signage on the wheel would be lined up, facing up and to the right and easily readable with the valve stem at the highest point.

But I've been feeling much better lately.

Hugo

For me, it's:

Clean - the bike has to be clean & gunk free

Shiny chrome - the paint can be weather beaten, scratched and even rusty, patina is a good thing, but the chrome has to SHINE!

And as Kev said, no squeaks, rock solid and rideable.

-Mp

Back