Is there a western flyer expert here?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have on displayed in the gallery section. and im trying to figure out the year. the #'s on the bottom say.
MOU 22x11 133198 and has a tank that closes like scissors onto a bracket behind the headtube. thanks for any help.

I am surely not a WF expert, or anything else as far as that goes. I think you have a Murray frame, frow what I have heard WF used several companies for thier frames. Is the top tube a single tube or is it two smaller ones ? My bike Hellbilly has a WF/Murray frame, pointed rear at dropouts and twin tubes at top w/ the same type tank as you describe. As far as I could figure out mine is 62-63
rrbofinalpics005.jpg
(other pics in RRBO 2)

I don't think there is a serial numbering system on these as far as year I.D. you have to just go by what sort of harware was on it. Bikes without the BMA/6 decal on the seat-tube were 69 or older, they would have had a more ornate stem than the later bikes and the wheels, grips, etc would have been different. You can also get an idea by (if it had the original wheels) what the brand and model of brake was. "Bendix 70" "Bendix RB2" etc, made in USA vs. Made in Mexico.

Unfortunately, you won't be able to tell on a bike that was messed up when you got it, this frame was used for so long (up through the 80's) by so many manufacturers. There might be a way to tell by serial, but that's a long, long shot.

tikiharl said:
I am surely not a WF expert, or anything else as far as that goes. I think you have a Murray frame, frow what I have heard WF used several companies for thier frames. Is the top tube a single tube or is it two smaller ones ? My bike Hellbilly has a WF/Murray frame, pointed rear at dropouts and twin tubes at top w/ the same type tank as you describe. As far as I could figure out mine is 62-63
rrbofinalpics005.jpg
(other pics in RRBO 2)
it does have pointed rear dropouts but mine does not have the double top tubes just a single. and when i sanded down the tank it said wetern flyer on it.

Back