TRADITIONAL It's SUPER ELLIOT!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They had some floor stock. Again the BSA bit.
Elliotts-Store-Inside.jpg

I've hit the return stage. Or about to.

Waiting another day for the top coats to cure, but the tyres are now back on the wheels - and I'm happy enough with the results all-round.

Close inspection reveals the neglect the bike has suffered, but for a budget rodding-resto its OK.

I'm sick of sanding spokes though. X 3.

I thought Super E should be red.

1.jpg

e2.jpg

e3.jpg

WD-40, You're soaking in it.
e4.jpg

What a beauty!

This afternoon I fitted the Suntour derailleur. Cabled it up, adjusted, and it downshifts perfectly - but the gap and size difference between gears changing up are simply too much for it. Exacerbated by the fact there are no cable stops.

nogears1.jpg

So after due diligence - it's now running single speed on the middle cog. I'm happy with this too, Rat-a-tat dontchaknow.
Tension adjustment works with the horizontal dropouts.

The other impediment to gear changing is the axle is slightly bent (I think) - because the freewheel does the orbital thing worse than just being threaded on.

But this will work Jim Dandy. But I might get a bling-er chain.

nogears2.jpg

Another upshot is I would have put the decals in the wrong spot If I persisted It's gonna be scary fun for a while.

I might try and restore the Simplex derailleur down the track - but I still don't think it would work.

Looking good! Really like the design of that rear axle assembly.

Shifting would probably be better with stops and less housing to compress. Compressionless housing might help as well. Gears are a nice feature on a heavy trike.

I’m curious enough to help solve the derailleur issue. Unless you have given up.

What is the model number of both the original simplex and the replacement suntour?

What chain are you using?

How many teeth are on the 3 speed freewheel cogs?

Back