It's time for... GUESS THAT BIKE!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An elderly lady called and said she was looking to get rid of a bike that belonged to her father. He was born in 1905 and he got this bike used when he was 19. He has since passed, but she kept the bike for many years and now she said she was ready to give it up. Her father has repainted the bike, and from the looks of it, replaced the front wheel. I say this because the fork has a bend to it and the front and rear wheel do not match, so I believe the front wheel is not original. The woman knew nothing about the history of the bike or any replaced parts, but she did enjoy riding it! Also, I have seen bikes with headlights on the front fender, but never a taillight on the rear fender. I also like the 'hood ornament' on the front fender! The coaster brake reads New Departure Model D. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
newdementionbike001.jpg

newdementionbike003.jpg

newdementionbike004.jpg

newdementionbike002.jpg

newdementionbike006.jpg

great score!!!
looks(judging by the short head tube to be a mead,elgin,schwinn,or maybe a henderson)clean the repaint off and the original colors and graphics(or lack of )will help get you a make!
man..........howd she find you to give it to you?!? add in the paper,craigslist,word of mouth?

When she called, she said she lived by another lady who works at one of the thrift stores I frequent, who knew I was into vintage bicycles, and gave her my #. Plus, I didn't get the bike for free. I asked her what she was hoping to get for it and she said she would be happy with $40. So I paid her, and assured her, since it was her fathers, that I would keep this in my collection. Then she said " It's yours now. I don't care what you do with it!" Wow... sentimental, right out the window!

Heavy Pedal said:
So I paid her, and assured her, since it was her fathers, that I would keep this in my collection. Then she said " It's yours now. I don't care what you do with it!" Wow... sentimental, right out the window!
wow :shock:
well then..........get that house paint off of there!!! lets see what she looked like :mrgreen:

I would say it is most definitely an Elgin or some kind of off brand sears, you should strip the fenders, they might be stainless. Heck of a find!

Ah, the Motorbike era.. When bikes were nearly identical. That could be anything. Elgin, Shelby, Mead, Schwinn, Dayton, etc. I'd scan the Cabe and NBAA and all the vintage bike galleries, and try to pin it down. Much sweeet though! ~Adam

that seat an chainring is awsome. the whole bike is awsome. nice score

Outlaw 8)

Back