jc higgins hub

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have this old jc higgins hub, single speed, coaster, but the sproket is two wide to fit any regular chains an the spacing is too wide. it has 14 teeth on it. is there any way i can change this out. its not like taking a clamping ring off an putting in a diff sproket or does anybody looking for one, i'll trade. need a set of front braces w/ hardware. thanks. it has a nice ribed kindof hub.

Outlaw :mrgreen:

There are sprockets available that are not skiptooth and the chain width is 3/16. Also, there is a lock collar you need to unscrew before you unscrew the sprocket. I think both are left hand thread but not positive. Try Memory Lane for more info and the sprocket.

Sounds like a JC Higgins "air cooled" hub. The fins were supposed to aid in heat dissipation during those high speed downhill runs :lol: What kind of braces are you looking for (20",24",26")? Maybe we can make a trade, PM me if you want.

aw so thats a skip tooth. i have never seen one before. i had it laying around an never really looked at it till the other day as i was going to lace it up to my columbia project an it looked funny. now i am lol. if i don't trade it to 2manybikes i'll keep it an find a chain an front sproket for in an still use it.

so if i keep the hub can i use any skiptooth chain an sproket an cranks? thinking this all would go good on my 26" canti i am getting from flying dingo.

thanks

Yeah, but be aware that there are some variables on cranks in regards to width to clear frames and guards. You can use the cranks you have now and just change the sprocket to skiptooth. You may have to change or remove the washer-spacer behind the sprocket retaining nut to get the correct crank spacing since the skiptooth sprocket is usually thicker than the standard sprockets. And the wider chain and sprocket may not clear the later style chainguards. All of this is no big deal though and just will take a little tuning.

Back