TRADITIONAL Jumpy

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those tires look awesome on that ratty frame!

I might suggest cantilever brakes if you can get the brake bosses mounted. They make hangers with cable housing stops built in as seat clamps and headset mounted spacers. I'll look for some photos and post them.

Those tires look awesome on that ratty frame!

I might suggest cantilever brakes if you can get the brake bosses mounted. They make hangers with cable housing stops built in as seat clamps and headset mounted spacers. I'll look for some photos and post them.
Thanks OJ: I’m going to try the caliper hack. I can’t weld. (At least at this point in my life!) Is there a bolt on cantilever brake kit or process for getting the bosses mounted?

Im sure I could find a local welding shop and bring them parts… not sure if there is anything special to do or look for.

Last edited:
Alrighty Jude. Found some cool vintage-y cantilever brake parts on ebay just now. The key is getting your bosses mounted and welded to the exact spot on your frame. A few doo dads to ogle ....

brake boss supplier.jpg
front canti brake hanger.jpg

And this is really cool! Very vintage / old skool klunker / mtb!

rear canti brake hanger .jpg

Thanks OJ: I’m going to try the caliper hack. I can’t weld. (At least at this point in my life!) Is there a bolt on cantilever brake kit or process for getting the bosses mounted?

Im sure I could find a local welding shop and bring them parts… not sure if there is anything special to do or look for

There is a template that they use to get the bosses mounted in the exact right spot on the fork and stays.

Those tires look awesome on there! I like OJ's ideas on cantilever brakes. That would be cool if you could swing it.
There is a template that they use to get the bosses mounted in the exact right spot on the fork and stays.
Do they sell these templates? I'd like to look into that.

Those tires look awesome on there! I like OJ's ideas on cantilever brakes. That would be cool if you could swing it.

Do they sell these templates? I'd like to look into that.
Here is a Sheldon Brown home made one I just found on a quick google search. One could be drilled and bolted together without too much trouble I would think.

I googled "template for mounting cantilever brake bosses".

cantilever mount guide.jpg

Here is a Sheldon Brown home made one I just found on a quick google search. One could be drilled and bolted together without too much trouble I would think.

I googled "template for mounting cantilever brake bosses".

View attachment 266133
Thanks OJ. I've seen that one before and have thought about building something for this, which is what I will likely do down the road. Paul Brodie has a great video building a fixture:

So….. here we go!

I’m looking to build a klunker out of an old straight bar frame.

The build is a little outside my usual as I build a lot of skinny tire bikes.

Also, I’ll be ditching my traditional patina salvage and putting some sharp red, white and blue paint on this guy.

As I built my ‘gray ghost’ which was basically a klunker, it was a ‘younger’ frame than this one and at first glance, an easier build.

-I’m open to input and ideas on the build.

I’d like to have gears, front and rear brakes and maybe a little bit of comfort!

I DO want to keep the original fork.

View attachment 264427View attachment 264428View attachment 264429
Cool seatpost

Back