Kids Bike build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
After much deliberation, i am finally moving forward on my plans for a kids bike for my 2 year old son. i have aquired a pair of 12" wheels from a baby jogger or something and have a plan. Frame will be built from wood, i have have a piece of 5/4x5 clear doug fir that should work. i will be making a pair of rear drop outs to support the wheel from some 1/8" stock, but may go aluminum if i can get my hands on some.. Still working out the front end details, i want to do a fork that looks like a motocycle fork using a large diameter dowell but making the tripple trees may be a challenge. we'll see,,.

DSCN0314.jpg

Cool sounding build! will this be one of those "running" or "balance" bikes that you don't pedal? As for triple tree forks, look on craigslist for a little kids'(16 inch wheels) stingray. You can chop them down and it would have the motorcycle look and you can pick those bikes up pretty cheap, least around here you can...

This will be ballance bike style, no pedals OR BRAKES!! what am i thinking!! Should be fine though. i had a kids bike front end for a while but attaching to this frame didn't look any easire and I really want to keep it wood. There are some neat designs out there now and the pricing has come down since i first started thinking about this project. It's just not as much fun breaking out the wallet as it is building something, like i need to explain that to this bunch...

They are some BEEFY looking wheels for a bike the size of your drawing. Man this thing should look wicked. Like a real Hawg or something. I want to watch this build. Post plenty of pics.

That will be cool. Using the one piece of Doug fir should be cool. I assume you are cutting out the center so the rear wheel fits in. Aluminum should be fine a kids bike.....think Street signs.

I originally was going to make a bike like that or the Like-a-Bike. But then I got to thinking and built a bike that I could ride.

I was able to sneak in some fine tuning of the frame design over the weekend. Also drew up the rear drop outs in CAD for my man to cut on his plasma cutting table. They will be cut from 1/4" aluminum stock, polished..Still agonizing over the fork/headset arangement. needs to be light, simple and durable.

the extra tricy part is that the "frame" will be made from two pieces of 1x5 doug fir that will form a "triangle" with the base at the rear wheel and the point at the fork. I'm thinking if i spread the sides apart about an inch or so at the forks and cut a wedge from a piece of hardwood i might be able to do the bushing thing. Tripple trees should be interresting..

Wow, i need to get to work on this project, i had to scroll down alomst a whole page to find my post!

There are a lot of push bikes, ballance bikes etc. out there for sale.

Last night i went to Nick's shop and redrew the rear drop outs using his AutoCad program, transferred that into the CadCam software and set the plasma cutting table to work. Not sure why the cad software i have will not communicate with his but i'm working on that.

I cut the drop outs from 1/4" alumunum plate T651. brought them home and drilled them out for the 1/4x20 bolts which will hold them to the wood frame and also drilled out for the rear axle. once i get the frame mocked up i will need to go back an use his brake to bend them slighty and then some polishing.

Tonight I will be cutting the frame halves out from the piece of doug fir trim board and time permitting get them sanded and drilled to accept the drop outs.
i didn't have the camera with me but will post some photos shortly.

Back