making a moped

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i love whizzers, but man they are expensive. I want to make a moped out of some parts i have nothing serious, just something i can have fun.

anyone have any suggestions on engines that are cheap, yet look sturdy?

any other things i should know about? because i really dont know anything about building one, it looks straightforward in all of the photos i've seen though. :p

Do like I and.... uhm... the creater of "pea shooter" has done! Buy a "cheap" chinese engine and mount to the frame! the only thing I want to do with mine is exchanging the throttle handle, because it suxorz:)P)

http://www.mopedarmy.com - check it out for resoruces, or a point in the right direction

I used to have an AMF, it was pretty simple, but the 2 stroke engines all smell, tuned up or not. I traded it for a road bike. They're fun, but not practical at all, unless you don't mind smelling like gas.

Rusty513 used one of the chinese motors on his ''Phizzer'' We have gotten it to run 47mph. I'm sure there's a picture somewhere in the older galleries.

Teh chinese kits are the way to go if you don't want to spend alot of money. For $200-$300 you can get the kit and there are enough of us here to help you with the install and any problems you may have. I have several of these and have a couple of bikes with over a 1000 miles on them, they can be reliable if you know what your doing...Kelly

If you wanted to be creative you could do something like this. Bought it off a guy on CL. Needs some fine tuning/finishing but it definatly works. Im going to put a jackshaft on it to gear it down so it has better take off :lol:
bikesandHonda005.jpg

bikesandHonda001.jpg

Yeah it moves takes a little while to get going.
My grandfather actually made something like this in the early 40's but had some sort of fluid drive trans on it and drove it to work for a number of years.

Hey Josh,If you build one dont forget...it will be a motor vehicle.Ya may need to have it licensed,insured,inspected etc...

OR just ride it when the cops aint looking.Thats what I would do.

Good Luck with it and have FUN!!!

Back