My Colorflow: Higgins Hot Rod

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I recently picked this bicycle up, and am going to be finishing it off this fall. It's going to be a simple build, and will involve parts replacement more than any kind of modifications. This morning, I am doing the only modifications that the bike will probably witness, which is to make a cusotm seat post like the Old Monark's had where there is a stem bolt and wedge inside the post, making a clamp unnecessary. Should be done shortly. :D

vsnejo.jpg

The wheelset pictured is not being used- I have a pair of original, rusty chrome Bendix heavy spoked wheels that will replace the ND blackout wheelset. I will have to convert the chainring/cog of the hub over to a skip tooth cog to make everything work, and that is in the works too. :wink: I have a seat in mind, and the following other parts will be incorporated into the build:

-Longhorn Torrington half moon bars with black pointed end grips
-Pointed reflectors for the rear of the carrier tray
-Period Blackwall or Whitewall balloons (most likely Carlisle Lightning Darts)
-Monark/WF acorn axle nuts
-A custom tank (looking for an original Murray tank currently, to modify to suit my tastes...)
-Some custom details/decals (A whole bunch of JCH decals from MLC which will be aged to match)
-JC Higgins scripted men's pedals
-JC Higgins scripted bike lock

...I think that's it. I'm really excited to get building this one up.

Re: My Colorflow

Chris, it looks good already, can't wait to see your added touches

Re: My Colorflow

July 20 Update: Custom seat post is finished and modifications went rather well. Seems like it will work fine.

I decided I didn't like the post and traded it back out for a standard one... still need a cooler seat post clamp though... My wheels are done as of this morning- the bike is ride-able now. Rides good. :D I traded the standard cog out for a skip tooth... took several hours of modification, but it fits and works perfectly now. Thank you Crassly for the cog. :D

2v965gm.jpg

np3m0w.jpg

jaw0sj.jpg

Back