My Crews BMX

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
The current line-up restored by me and my 3 boys... yeah, we like Schwinns...

Yellow 1974 Schwinn Fastback BMX, 1980 Schwinn Scrambler 36/36, 1976 Schwinn tornado BMX , 1983 Schwinn mini-Thrasher, 1983 Schwinn Predator.

1976 Schwinn tornado turned into full-on BMX ride for my 11yr. old. white powder coat, Lester mags, NOS Wald grips and bars, NOS Ashtabula crank.

1983 Schwinn mini-thrasher. Bought it at local bike repair-collective shop as is. Just needed a bearing tune-up and some time cleaning. My 8 yr olds ride.

Last edited:
Having fun sending out the Schwinn vibe...It really is hard to beat the quality frame to start with. I just picked up a package deal a couple weeks ago that consisted of a 1965 and 1968 Stingray, both rode hard and packed with dirt. The 65 is going the stock route with a full resto as a black 65 super deluxe, but I'm thinking the 68 is going to become a yellow match for the Fastback. both of the bikes had won tong brand super HD BMX wheels too. I'll post a pic of the pair when I find it.

I've been so close to building a Stingray-type frame up with BMX parts a few times, but it ain't happened yet.... mostly b/c Scramblers are so cheap and so rad. Still pretty tempting, although I think that the short toptube would make it a pretty cramped ride. Been riding my Scrambler with a straight post and some fairly huge s&m "perfect ten" bars, angled forward a fair bit, and it's actually a nice ride for pub crawlz and such.

I ride the Scrambler above comfortably and Stingrays too, but I'm only 5'8 so that helps. The trick for 20" BMXers is leaning the bars a bit forward like you mention. A good lay-back seat post helps too. I actually prefer pre-67 stingrays with the wider longhorn bars 'cause it's a comfy ride...

Latest posts

Back