Phoenix

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ll try and post this for the 4th time, see if it gets shown. 1 inch bars, 7/8 brake lever clamp. Flatten both sides to make a one inch radius, squeeze the ends together with vice grips and a bench vice and use the shaft of a medium sized Phillips Head Screwdriver to align the bolt holes, sorta. Put the clamp bolt in and squeeze it t with vice grips. Not as easy as it sounds. IMG_4351.jpeg
IMG_4352.jpeg
IMG_4353.jpeg
IMG_4353.jpeg
IMG_4354.jpeg
IMG_4356.jpeg
IMG_4359.jpeg
IMG_4360.jpeg

I’m attempting to vibrate off the glass like brazing flux. Hot water and acid doesn’t touch it. I used Shoo Goo and duct tape to secure the sander and put my rust soak next to it when the sander vibrated itself off. The rust soak is also vibrating like crazy. If it doesn’t work on the flux I bet it will work on rust and maybe for rust stuck bike parts. It’s powerful enough that the floor in the next room vibrates enough that you feel it in your feet. Home brew subsonic vibrating slag and rust remover. I’m sure it’s not a continuous motor so I run it in 20 minute stretches to allow cooling betwiin cycles.
IMG_4365.jpeg
IMG_4366.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m attempting to vibrate off the glass like brazing flux. Hot water and acid doesn’t touch it. I used Shoo Goo and duct tape to secure the sander and put my rust soak next to it when the sander vibrated itself off. The rust soak is also vibrating like crazy. If it doesn’t work on the flux I bet it will work on rust and maybe for rust stuck bike parts. It’s powerful enough that the floor in the next room vibrates enough that you feel it in your feet. Home brew subsonic vibrating slag and rust remover. I’m sure it’s not a continuous motor so I run it in 20 minute stretches to allow cooling betwiin cycles.View attachment 251852View attachment 251853
You sir are mad man

Oxalic acid and citric acid makes permanent green non removable rust for me
...um, really? Is there any chance that you could take a picture? In my head I'm seeing an almost phosphorus lime green. If that is the case... I owe you a debt of gratitude at the very least.
I had been kicking around the idea of stripping and doing a full surface rust for the frame and fork. (Followed by a complete BLO bath.
Now though.... It's like Saul on the road to Damascus. I've just been hit in the head with a stick, and now I can smell the colors!
Oh PLEASE let this be real!

...um, really? Is there any chance that you could take a picture? In my head I'm seeing an almost phosphorus lime green. If that is the case... I owe you a debt of gratitude at the very least.
I had been kicking around the idea of stripping and doing a full surface rust for the frame and fork. (Followed by a complete BLO bath.
Now though.... It's like Saul on the road to Damascus. I've just been hit in the head with a stick, and now I can smell the colors!
Oh PLEASE let this be real!
Yes, that’s the color. This occurred several times about 8 years ago so no pictures. Others don’t seem to have this problem. Some acids give me a yellow, unremovable rust. It’s been years ago so I don’t remember what acid caused the yellow. I tried several times and always got the yellow or green rust. It won’t all come off in nooks and crannies where a 10,000 rpm wire brush won’t reach. Someone on this forum said I was using too high of a concentration. I tried a lot less and it just took a long time and I still had unremovable green rust but it was lighter. Vinegar wouldn’t remove the green or yellow. The cheapest way to remove rust is to use white vinegar. You can get a gallon of 45% on line and dilute it with 9 gallons of water. Phosphoric acid is more expensive but the best. It’s used for rust removal on a commercial scale. Machinery is dipped in a vat of it. It forms a rust resistant coating of iron Phosphate. Iron phosphate will keep the bike parts from rusting as it dries. It will shortly form surface rust. To keep it from rusting I then put on Ospho. It will stay for weeks without rusting, time enough for you to add paint.
Jet Sled, PH Down, ballast and enough water to cover the parts.
IMG_4238.jpeg

After dip.
IMG_4239.jpeg
IMG_4240.jpeg

Rust is gone, even in the deepest places.
IMG_4242.jpeg

After phosphoric acid.
IMG_4245.jpeg

Last edited:
Thank you! I'm definitely going to be researching now. Living in Seattle, it seemed appropriate to have a completely rusted frame and fork. I never, and I mean NEVER thought about colored rust. You are a gentleman and a scholar. You have broadened my horizons, therefore I grant you one favor. Absolutely exchangeable for goods or services.
Again, thank you!!!

Back