Phosphoric Acid Bath

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The middle of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
My Jet Sled is normally used for ice fishing or hauling firewood but I decided to use it for a frame dip. I put Phosphoric acid in it that I got for a reasonable price on the net and it is powered so shipping is inexpensive. I was making it too powerful. I now use a third cup in 5 gals H2O.

Two frames in the bath. The blue one is for spot removal and the one under it has been stripped of paint. After 2 days I go over the heavy rust with a brass brush or steel wool. Then 2 more days and it has a beautiful grey finish of Iron Phosphate crystals on it. I then wash it, dry it and coat it with Penetrol to prevent rust. It will begin rusting again in a day or so unless you paint it or coat it. The Penetrol coating allows you to take your time and not have to paint it right now. Heavy rust may take longer than 4 days. I have not coated small areas that I needed to weld and then coated it after but I got a very fine layer of surface rust on the areas I did not coat in one day.

Back