Picking my seat...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Having some trouble picking a seat for the $ 0.00 Pacific cruiser. Currently, I am using a GT BMX seat i found in the trash. So far, the Brooks B-68 is in the lead, along with the Brooks Flyer. Then it dawned on me. Why am I putting a $$$ saddle on a $0.00 bike?

vybjmb.jpg

Which leads to my question. What other, cheaper seats are out there?

This might work. It even has fake rivet thingies. http://www.serfas.com/product.asp?ProductID=44

Not horrible, either. http://www.amazon.com/Saddle-Pyramid-Cr ... 5&sr=1-139

Any ideas?

- Pedro

Some before and after shots...

2l9qr6a.jpg

You can't see in the pics, but for a newer bike, this thing was mega rusty. Check out the chain in the before pic. Lots of bubbles under the paint. Previous owner left it in his wet basement. Basket is very corroded.

After a bit of cleaning and sanding and $6.00 of Family Dollar flat black.

1zf7csj.jpg

Still working on rail type seat, micro-tilt seatpost and pedals. This bike will get a new front basket, likely the Wald Giant 157GB.

imho money spent on a good comfortable seat is money well spent. in racing there is a saying ive heard - if you have a five dollar head, use a five dollar helmet. the point being that spending the money on a top-o-da-line helmet is a very good idea and a sound investment. the same rings true for me when it comes to seats, if ya got a butt that aint worth crap to ya then get a seat that aint worth butt. wow, i should write those little slips inside fortune cookies! that was golden!
fast eddie outty

get a brooks seat, it will give your bike an amazing look plus they are super comfy! and if you get another bike you fall in love with more later down the line you can swap the seats.

you pay for what you get and brooks last a long time and they are super comfy :p
I have the b135 brooks saddle and i can't complain at all

I third the brooks advise. I got a old one for a rat and new Champion Flyer for my everyday bike and love em

These are becoming more POPULAR everyday! And, they're under $30.

006.jpg

I vote for the hairpin!

( i currently have a velo.. not too shabby.. it came with the ride.. but not cool enough.. )

KOTA said:
These are becoming more POPULAR everyday! And, they're under $30.

006.jpg
Those are the cheap indian ones, right? My LBS that deals with old bikes has those, and the owner said "I can sell you one but I don't recomend it; I've got one right here that got all bent up with just a little use, it's only good for parts now".

Hugo

Hugo said:
Those are the cheap indian ones, right? My LBS that deals with old bikes has those, and the owner said "I can sell you one but I don't recomend it; I've got one right here that got all bent up with just a little use, it's only good for parts now".

Hugo

i have one, i weigh 200 lbs and it still works fine..i agree when you look at it it looks crooked, but when you sit on it it does not seem to make any difference...for 30$ i think its still good.

you can get a similar one at highwheel.com
I'm looking at a smaller version on ebay right now.. i'm also bidding on a brooks.. but if the brooks goes too high, im gonna be looking for a classic brown saddle of sorts, and im considering a hairpin.

Back