Powder Coating

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed that quite a few of the members on here get stuff powder coated, would any of you be willing to give a few ideas of what things like frames and wheels would cost to have done? Also tips on prepping the stuff to be coated would help. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Chainsaw

the place i use usully charges $120 for frame, chainguard and forks. that includes sandblasting and is only for basic colors. price goes up on different/2 stage colors.

when it comes to powder coating it can be expensive....but that all depends on were you are from. As you can see from the other posts :mrgreen: around here about $120 for the frame aswell.....its best to seek out a local shop and find out.

If you plan on keeping the bike its the only way to go. It is very durable! however if you are building the bike to flip and make some money it can be hard to get a good return depending on the market in your area

FW

I have had one frame powdercoated a member here offered to do it for get his name out there........ worked good huh? lol
my local guys are $100 and up there stuff looks great too
word of note... you will need a rat tail file and taps to clean holes up to put the parts back on. this stuff is thick!

Hooch said:
I have had one frame powder coated a member here offered to do it for get his name out there.
What ever happened to that bike, Hooch?
It was metal flake "pagan gold", right?

I had some stuff powder coated recently for a scooter project. Turned out really great. The shop I took them to said to make sure if you prep yourself, be very complete on your prep work. Does not have to be perfect, but the better the starting surface, the better the results. They also plugged all the holes before they coated so I did not have to clean up any threads or anything else.

Thanks for all the info. I've got a couple of frames that I'm considering for an Urban Assault Rat. Whichever one I pick is the one that will get the powder. I'll post some pics of the frames sometime soon. One is an older Cannondale Mt.bike frame made of aluminum and the other is a newer mt. bike frame, can't remember what brand, but it's aluminum also. Both are hardtails.

Thanks Master, it definitely makes sense! I'm assuming that they would all have to be the same color for the price break though. So I guess I'd better pic a color that I like ..... ALOT! :lol: I'm still a few weeks off from doing anything, but I'll let you know what I find out.
Thanks again,
Chainsaw

Chainsaw said:
Thanks Master, it definitely makes sense! I'm assuming that they would all have to be the same color for the price break though. So I guess I'd better pic a color that I like ..... ALOT! :lol: I'm still a few weeks off from doing anything, but I'll let you know what I find out.
Thanks again,
Chainsaw
Yeah, I think it's like 1 or 2 colors depending how many you do, I thought about getting a frame done but I don't really have any right now that I want to have done.

Back