Powdercoat

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to building bikes and i am in the process of building a Hiawatha i got at an action for $2. I was wondering if anybody has powdercoated the frame or forks and had any luck with it. i will try to post pictures when i have a chance.

Thats funny you say that Markm. My experiance is that Powder Coat just kind of sucks... Can come out dull looking, rubs off easily from cable housing. I would get it clear coated after powdercoating, if you can.

I've had good luck with powder coat. Never had anything professionally painted though so I can't compare. It think it beats the rattle can. Best part is where I have it done they do all the prep work like blasting the frame.

Here's just a couple of the bikes I've had powder coated...
jd_mower4.jpg

cc1.jpg

i have never seen a bad powder coat yet. i suppose its has to do with how it's preped as anything else. i have never had any powercoating done but alot of people i ride harleys with have and they are fine. just ask ? on who you want this done by and research the internet as to what is expected.

Outlaw :mrgreen:

i dig powdercoating, i just take f&f and whatever else to my local powdercoaters and he media blasts it and sprays it the color i want. its alot less time consuming.

I love powdercoating, I do all my frames this way for the past few years. And a bunch of forks, chainguards, handlebars etc etc.
So much tougher than paint - doesn't chip like paint.
It absolutely depends on who is applying it...too thick no good...to thin no good.

Curtis

I suppose you are all right, on a cruiser it would be fine, try it on a mountain bike thats running down singletrack all day with cable housing and legs and shoes and branches and rocks and whatever else is on the trail, rubbing and hitting up against it... doesnt hold up well at all

Back