TRADITIONAL Quasi-Motobike : Video Update #7...pg 10

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Day 28

We got a break in the rain, so it's out to the back porch in the BACK40 for a video update!

I feel like the chain guard is way too big for that bike. When I look at the rest of the bike, from the tank to the tires, the word that comes to mind is "slender." There ain't nothing "slender" about that chain guard! 🤣 Plus, the chain guard looks too curvy for this pretty angular bike. That chain guard's cool, but I don't think this is the right bike for it.

Personally, if I were to install a chain guard on it, it'd be a smaller, thinner one. Either something period correct or something more angular to match the lines of the frame.

Honestly. It makes me think you're carrying an old surfboard on a bicycle. Not quite as big as a surfboard, but it does stand out quite a bit. Takes away from the bike, like Matti said... a billboard of sorts.

I love a good chainguard mockup, but I think that one is just too bulky. Even if it was lopped off at the seatstays, it's still a lot of real estate that it consumes.

I like the billboard advertisement idea as well, though I can see the argument for slender too.

My first thought was “I was just in New Orleans and you wanna talk about humidity?!?” But then I thought, “give that chainguard the same treatment as the tank…”

So then reading the comments and looking back, what about a haircut-little of the top, little off the bottom, advert paint under ratina? Combine the ideas while slimming it down?

Also, love the seat! 😎

4fee0a22-7d68-48c8-9dcb-ec6df22dff57_text.gif

What about a farm-fix style chainguard?
Pie tin comes to mind, but even coffee or cookie tins? You could even take a more modern skinny guard and wrap it with old tins. Maybe even an old roached metal sign that is mostly gone (so affordable) and fabricate from that with some of the graphic still showing, while not deliberately showcasing the graphic. 🤷‍♂️

Oddjobs new chainguard:
;) :bigsmile:

Obviously I am kidding, hope you don't mind ;)
Love your bike and beer bottles so far. Can't get over the tankjob. You could make props for movie sets, museums or theatres!

Back