TRADITIONAL Quasi-Motobike : "Tanks, for the memories"...pg 7

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Wildcat , thanks for the leg work! Did the photo you saw have my head badge, Hawthorne De Luxe, on it? Many I have found were the Flyer model.

The bike is looking great!

My Snyder lists have both factorys listed. Little Falls, NY begins in 1914, then adds Michigan City, IN in 1932.

"I" shows as 1922, made in the NY factory. With that in mind, I searched for a 1922 Hawthorne. I only found one pic with the same chain wheel, but the auction page wouldn't let me copy the image unless I bought something.
URL?

I got my first taste as a 'true' grandpa (I have 3 beautiful step-grand girls who are all grown up) this past November. I have to admit, there is no other love like this! @handyandy1100 , we will miss you in the BO 19, but you could document your build along the way in the Other Builds forum, and keep us posted in your comments here.

Your time will be well spent, as MC suggests ^. I have plans to do the same with mine!

View attachment 262995

Good job on the handlebar patina and the pedal blocks are very cool!

Looking awesome.
Thanks guys! The pedals were new territory for me. I want to retain and match the original patina and age as closely as I can

pedal block FINAL.jpeg
bars width.jpg
bars color 2.jpg

Day 7

Rainy day here again. Seems like every other one has been either sunny and pleasant or rain and wind. I'll be inside the BACK40 working on an idea I've wanted to check out.

Ordered some grips from @ifitsfreeitsforme , Thompson Classic components, and will RaT-ina those whence they arrive. The bars look naked without them. (he said naked)

@Wildcat , thanks for the leg work! Did the photo you saw have my head badge, Hawthorne De Luxe, on it? Many I have found were the Flyer model.
No, I didn't see the headbadge, just a side shot.

Bars and pedals came out awesome!

After looking at length at your frame and fork Lee in the video, it very well could be Snyder made as @Wildcat believes, but only if the fork and truss rod setup is original to the frame. With no volcano joints at BB shell like most Snyder frames had, it may be replaced. I have seen another moto very similar with the same badge and Great Western looking top bar with no V-joints on the bb shell. Chainring and crank arm may be changed out? Lots to consider when so old, but nevertheless, looking good!

After looking at length at your frame and fork Lee in the video, it very well could be Snyder made as @Wildcat believes, but only if the fork and truss rod setup is original to the frame. With no volcano joints at BB shell like most Snyder frames had, it may be replaced. I have seen another moto very similar with the same badge and Great Western looking top bar with no V-joints on the bb shell. Chainring and crank arm may be changed out? Lots to consider when so old, but nevertheless, looking good!
Thanks! We'll keep looking as to the born on date, etc. For sure it's right around that 1920 marker for time frame.

I will post on the CABE as well at some point to see what others have for input. SKPC , etc. :wink1:

Day 7 / 8

So, the weather turned around yesterday after lunch. I spent some time on my next mod, the rear rack. Y'all know how much I like to add wood to my builds, so I cut some slats from a piece of aged cedar that was used for the wainscoting inside the BACK40 when I built it. Drilled some holes in the bracing of the original rack, and screwed the pieces on from underneath. Then when trying to decide what to use for a finish, I remembered my grandpa putting motor oil on the wooden knobs and handles and hay wagon tongues to prevent rot out in the elements. So I grabbed my little can of WD-40, which is really a W-ater D-isplacement liquid more than a pure lube, but it does repel water, and soaks into the wood pores. It also gives a nice worn look to fresh wood. Or even graying cedar.

rack slats cut.jpg
rack holes drilled.jpg
rack stained with WD 40.jpg
rack top down look.jpg

I used a jam nut (half the width of a regular axle nut) to hold the rack stays onto the axle. This way I can remove the rack with just three nuts undone for a more streamlined look if need be.

rack jam nut on axle.jpg

And yes, they might be too shiny for this build. That can be changed. :wink1:

This morning in the first hour of light, I grabbed some photos on the BACK40 back deck. With my vintage overlay filter in place...

vintage photo rack 5.jpg
vintage photo rack 3.jpg
vintage photo rack 2.jpg
vintage photo rack 1.jpg
vintage photo rack 4.jpg

1715183040118.png

Day 9

Not sure if I mentioned it, but I hung up my shop shirt at the bike shop this Spring. First season in 35 years that I have not been employed either part or full time at a bike shop. It's fine so far. Quasi-Moto has kept me busy, Spring lawn and gardening chores, family stuff, all make the time go by. I still make a weekly trip over to the shop to chat with the crew and check in.

Yesterday, I rode Quasi-Moto over to show the progress so far. As true to my M.O., every time I show up, it gets super busy with customers. Which is good. So I parked the Quasi near the front of the cash out, kind of in a spot where it fit and could be seen, and then walked around the store to check out the latest stuff, say 'hi' , etc.

After a few minutes I greeted one of my former customers coming through the door with her bike, coming in for repairs. We exchanged 'hellos' and then I watched her move towards the repair counter for check-in, balance her bike with one hand, and with the other she slung her large bag / purse off her shoulder and set it down on the rear rack of Quasi-Moto! :bigsmile:

I had just taken off from home with a couple bucks in my pocket, and my phone was charging back at the ranch, so I couldn't get a photo. But it brought a big smile to my face!

Here's a re-enactment outside the BACK40 this morning...

bag on rack photo.jpg

You may notice I have grips on the bars now. These are a pair of Thompson Classic Components coke bottle grips from @ifitsfreeitsforme member. Great grips and feel with that classic look! I pulled these from my Trans-Mig-RaT build to try out.

coke bottle grips.jpg

Day 9

Not sure if I mentioned it, but I hung up my shop shirt at the bike shop this Spring. First season in 35 years that I have not been employed either part or full time at a bike shop. It's fine so far. Quasi-Moto has kept me busy, Spring lawn and gardening chores, family stuff, all make the time go by. I still make a weekly trip over to the shop to chat with the crew and check in.

Yesterday, I rode Quasi-Moto over to show the progress so far. As true to my M.O., every time I show up, it gets super busy with customers. Which is good. So I parked the Quasi near the front of the cash out, kind of in a spot where it fit and could be seen, and then walked around the store to check out the latest stuff, say 'hi' , etc.

After a few minutes I greeted one of my former customers coming through the door with her bike, coming in for repairs. We exchanged 'hellos' and then I watched her move towards the repair counter for check-in, balance her bike with one hand, and with the other she slung her large bag / purse off her shoulder and set it down on the rear rack of Quasi-Moto! :bigsmile:

I had just taken off from home with a couple bucks in my pocket, and my phone was charging back at the ranch, so I couldn't get a photo. But it brought a big smile to my face!

Here's a re-enactment outside the BACK40 this morning...

View attachment 264894

You may notice I have grips on the bars now. These are a pair of Thompson Classic Components coke bottle grips from @ifitsfreeitsforme member. Great grips and feel with that classic look! I pulled these from my Trans-Mig-RaT build to try out.

View attachment 264895
Congrats on the retirement!

Day 11

We have seen many C.A.D. (cardboard aided designs) on this forum. I'm going for the more primitive, older method of B.A.D.A.S.S. , Bag Aided Design And Sheet Steel for my attempt at getting 'tanked'.

We have a top 10 weather day here in the north country, so not sure how much time I'll spend on it once the sun comes up. Here is where I'm at right now:

...... tank design.jpg

Latest posts

Back