TRADITIONAL Quasi-Motobike : "Video Update #7 "...pg 8

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats on the retirement. It's a strange, but good time of life. I think of this year as my first year of full retirement as well. It's the first year without severance pay or final bonus from my job of 29 years. I also started pulling social security the middle of last year. So at 63, Queenfish and I just have our SSA, rental income, and savings. So far it's going well, but it is a change not having a regular daily grind job.
Enough about antique people, let's get back to antique bikes. :D . It's funny how the lady just felt that your bike was a prop for the store.
With the age and style of Quasi, have you considered the ball end Thompson grips instead?
I'm looking forward to you quasigami tank. That should really set the bike off nicely.

"age and style of Quasi, have you considered the ball end Thompson grips instead?"...You read my mind! ~ Like minds...
Just got these 10 mins ago in the mail box.

20240511_111825.jpg

"I'm looking forward to you quasigami tank."

Thanks! Trying to just make it a bend and fold up from a single sheet of this 24" x 12" 26 gauge from HD.

"age and style of Quasi, have you considered the ball end Thompson grips instead?"...You read my mind! ~ Like minds...
Just got these 10 mins ago in the mail box.

View attachment 265135

"I'm looking forward to you quasigami tank."

Thanks! Trying to just make it a bend and fold up from a single sheet of this 24" x 12" 26 gauge from HD.

If the steel is too hard to bend, consider my go to material - roof flashing.

Well, it's been a productive morning. Now 11:55 am CDT, so I'm gonna stop here and go for a bike ride and hang outdoors.

One grocery bag, pencil, tape measure, straight edge, and scissors later; we have a single sheet mock up for the 'Quasigami' tank.

20240511_114859.jpg
20240511_114843.jpg
20240511_114824.jpg
20240511_114809.jpg
20240511_115254.jpg

Next thing you'll do is bring out Gene Gene the Dancing Machine

1715473159470.png

Well, it's been a productive morning. Now 11:55 am CDT, so I'm gonna stop here and go for a bike ride and hang outdoors.

One grocery bag, pencil, tape measure, straight edge, and scissors later; we have a single sheet mock up for the 'Quasigami' tank.

You know, I like steel as much as the next guy-but if you were in a hurry (or just wanted your mold to hold it's shape better on removal) you could hit that absorbent paper with an Epoxy coat. And if for some reason you decide against steel some thin fiberglass cloth and another epoxy coat would make you a tank. Heck, you could easily turn it into a toolbox with a quick Dremel-out for a door, Epoxy inside the tank and a brass hinge and hook...

Quasi-Motobike

Everyone has their ‘grail’. For me it has been everything from driving a model of vehicle, playing a cherished guitar or amp, skiing a destination mountain ski area, racing a dream mtn bike, a travel trip, conquering a white water rapids section on a wild river; just to name a few. I have been lucky to have had many fulfilling and rewarding events in my life that have culminated in the ‘grail’ level of experiences.

I have had many fun finds in searching for ideas and styles of builds over the years, preparing for build offs on RRB. Concepts and themes that have driven me to find certain frames to build around, or finding a cool frame and letting that do the talking as far as how it would be realized.

There has always been one style of bike that I have wanted to build / rat-ify / in a rat-storation project. And that is the ‘Motobike’, sometimes in various brands also referred to as ‘Motorbike’. But I like it without the ‘R’, because there is no motor on these facsimiles designed to mimic early motorcycles.

The bicycle motobike is a do-it-all, utilitarian ride, with larger wheel diameters, fenders, lights, rack, and a tool box like tank to hold necessities for long rides. It is a self-supported style of bicycle to be able to keep on riding, over varied surfaces, with efficiency and determination. Not necessarily fast like a road bike or racing bike, but faster than a cruiser. And not a true off road bike with fat, gnarly tires to dig in and aid control. But it can handle gravel and dirt and pavement with it’s large, 28” wheels and ‘skinny fat’ tires.

It’s not unlike it’s four wheeled counterpart from the early 1900’s, the Model T. They were driven everywhere, and were so utilitarian that the model lasted 20 years in production.

And so, I embark on what may be my most challenging build to date. To somehow preserve the history of the motobike, while still adding some nuances to ‘make it my own’. And so I present to you the Quasi-Motobike, because it will be ‘as if’ it were a motobike from the 19-teens and 20’s, but with some RRB BO sauce rubbed in for good measure!

View attachment 263710View attachment 263711View attachment 263712View attachment 263713View attachment 263715View attachment 263716
Quasi-motobike, best name to come down the pike in awhile! 😀

Bars and rack looking stellar. Can't wait to see the tank. Steel tho? No wood/leather? Keep up the good work. :cool:

If the steel is too hard to bend, consider my go to material - roof flashing.

Or just faux finish the kraft paper tank and leave it.

Instant decoy tank!

1.-carrying-a-dummy-tank-ed.jpg

You know, I like steel as much as the next guy-but if you were in a hurry (or just wanted your mold to hold it's shape better on removal) you could hit that absorbent paper with an Epoxy coat. And if for some reason you decide against steel some thin fiberglass cloth and another epoxy coat would make you a tank. Heck, you could easily turn it into a toolbox with a quick Dremel-out for a door, Epoxy inside the tank and a brass hinge and hook...
I thought I had a wild idea early on about using an alternative material to steel for the tank replica. Your combined comments have me back on track with those earlier thoughts. The steel sheet will remain in one piece for now. My mind swirling with options, thanks to y'all!
@order99 , do you mean a brush on type of epoxy, like you would use for a fiberglass application, or is there a spray that I could hit the bag tank with that might be layered on more lightly?
@Chad T , you've got me watching Youtube vids on how to stiffen leather...
@kingfish254 , I hear ya on the roof flashing for bendability.
@The Renaissance Man , tank decoy, eh? The papier mache' idea is a strong one.

View attachment 265145View attachment 265146View attachment 265147View attachment 265148View attachment 265149
This… Is amazing! It’s just a paper grocery bag? I wouldn’t think it would have the rigidity for this?

The tank is still in process, so I headed out to the BACK40 to do some RaT-ina on the grips I got from @ifitsfreeitsforme , Thompson Classic Components, These are the new PVC ones, which take to the patina process really well!

These came as a dark gray. An hour or so later, we have a decent match to our original Troxel leather saddle.

20240512_134315.jpg
20240512_134330.jpg
20240512_135620.jpg
20240512_135658.jpg
20240512_135749.jpg

This… Is amazing! It’s just a paper grocery bag? I wouldn’t think it would have the rigidity for this?
Yes,at that point it was just a folded bag with a few splotches of masking tape. Not substantial enough to survive on it's own. So I've been playing with it some, will try to do some kind of reveal tomorrow.

Should be interesting. I'm not too hopeful that it will 'toe the line'. 😉

Something else that could work, and go nicely with the rack, would be a wood tank. You could even stain it like the rack to have that classic patina'd look!
I totally agree, BFTD! I have a strong suspicion that is the route I will likely take.

Presently,I'm on 'the road less traveled'. Stay tuned!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back